Stephen W. Rigazio scholarship awarded

Maddi Loiselle, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Utica resident and Ottawa High School alumn Trevor Finnan was announced as the 2017 winner of the Steven W. Rigazio Scholarship, which provides full tuition coverage for Eureka College.

“I am honored to receive this scholarship and represent both Eureka College and the family of Stephen Rigazio,” Finnan said. “I have worked extremely hard over the past three years to get here, sacrificing time with friends, family and hours at work. Now that it’s all starting to pay off, the feeling is almost surreal.

“It was shocking,” he continued. “I went from nobody to full ride scholarship in just three short years, and it goes to show that with just a little hard work and prioritizing anything is possible.”

Finnan is studying chemistry and plans to become a neurologist. He wants to conduct research on the treatment of chronic pain because his mother has suffered from it for several years.

Rigazio graduated from IVCC in 1974 and Eureka in 1976 and died in 2001 from ALS when he was 47. He worked at the Nevada Power Company for 17 years before becoming the president in 2000.

The application requires a sophomore with good academic standing, good character, positive attitude and financial need to write a two-page essay covering their desire to attend Eureka, how the scholarship would benefit them, any extracurricular activities and their plans after five years.

In addition, the student needs recommendation letter from either President Corcoran, an administrator, faculty or staff member at IV that vouches for the student’s character.