IV Leader wins award

IV Leader, the student newspaper of Illinois Valley Community College, received 18 awards — including second place in general excellence — at the Illinois Community College Journalism Association annual conference in Chicago.

In addition to the general excellence award for the printed edition, the IV Leader won fourth place in the open category for web site, honoring the IV Leader’s online version at www.ivleader.com.

Individual award winners included:
– Michael Westerman of La Salle, second place in graphics, second place for editorial of the year, first place in editorial writing, third place in sports news and honorable mention in front page design.
– Kyle Russell of Utica, first place and honorable mention for news photos, first place and honorable mention for sports photo, and first and second place for feature photo.
– Corey Winchel of Mendota, second place in editorial of the year.
– Peggy Schneider of Ottawa, third place in feature writing, honorable mention and third place in headline writing.
– Emily Hackler of Ottawa, first place in sports news.
– Pat Escatel of Mendota, first place in sports feature.

English/Journalism Professor Lori Cinotte of Spring Valley is faculty advisor of the IV Leader.
The conference allowed students to attend sessions on interviewing, photography, page design and writing.
Steve Bogira, a reporter for the Chicago Reader, was the keynote speaker at the conference, which was April 7-8 at Harold Washington College in downtown Chicago.