Spring of 2016 marks the end of construction

Maddi Loiselle, IV Leader Staff Writer

Construction is continuing in the former lobby and Buildings D and E.

At the beginning of the spring semester, students can look forward to the completion of Student Life Space in Building E and the Cyber Café in the former lobby area, among other  additions.

The additions are all a part of the Community Technology Center project that also includes a Forensics Lab, EMS classrooms, and general purpose classrooms in Building D, an elevator in Building E, and a library expansion.

The cost of the whole project is $1.7 million and it is within budget, says Cheryl Roelfsema, the Vice President for Business Services and Finance at the college.

In Building D, “the EMS lab will have an ambulance simulator for students to learn,” Roelfsema said. Two “crime scene” rooms will also be added for the Forensics program.
The Student Life Space will house the Student Government Association office and a work room for student groups. Three game rooms, a kitchen for bake sales, and multiple computer stations will also be available. These computer stations will offer ADA accessible seating as well. “There will also be tables and chairs where students can relax or study,” Roelfsema added. The Cyber Café will feature a coffee bar catered by Country Catering. Students can enjoy the beverages and snacks at the computer stations or at the tables and chairs provided. Once completed, the Cyber Café will be located in the lobby next to the cafeteria stairs.
The library expansion allows the library to take over the area that formerly housed the Cashier’s office