A call for empowerment

The+world+is+saying+%E2%80%9CMe+Too%E2%80%9D+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++%0ANow+that+a+new+light+is+being+shed+on+sexual+harassment+and+abuse%2C+people+are+speaking+out+and+telling+each+other+that+they+are+not+alone.+

Pixabay image iicensed for reuse under Creative Commons

The world is saying “Me Too” Now that a new light is being shed on sexual harassment and abuse, people are speaking out and telling each other that they are not alone.

Chase Ochsner, Columnist

What started as a few brave women stepping forward and accusing film producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment has now created a wave a statements from fans, actors, and other well-respected women who have come forward speaking against sexual harassment in the entertainment industry.

Since the first few women spoke out, the number of Weinstein’s accusers has grown to more than 80 women. Now, not only Weinstein has been outed, but also comedian Louis C.K., “That 70’s Show” star Danny Masterson and many others. Since “The New York Times” first published the story on Weinstein in early October, industry insiders have been trying to figure out how to solve this horrific problem.

Earlier this month, the 75th Golden Globes attendees wore black in order to protest the sexual harassment and to show that it needs to come to an immediate halt. IVCC student Josh Rinehart said that the men and women who wore black at the award show “seemed to be the focus.” Along with the black, some guests wore a “Time’s Up” pin demonstrating their support for the “TIME’s UP Legal Defense Fund” have grouped with the

National Women’s Law Center, which says it will “match women who need legal representation” in order to take down the big-name Hollywood harassers.

Another movement that has gained some traction is the #MeToo movement. Since 2006 Tarana Burke created a movement called “Me Too.” She created this movement in order to bring sexual awareness to others and created a trend on Twitter titled #MeToo. This hashtags allows users speak out about this current problem.

One way you can contribute and help end this problem, which is far more spread out than just Los Angeles, is by donating and pledging to “TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund.” Their current goal is $17 million, and they have less than half a million to go. This money will go to the women and men who need a legal team to support them in fighting the accusers.