Student Spotlight: Jamarion Jones

Submitted Photo

Recent high school graduate and IVCC student Jamarion Jones plans to transfer this fall.

Nathan Orlandi, IV Leader Staff Writer

Jamarion Jones is an 18-year-old freshman currently attending Illinois Valley Community College for the 2021-2022 school year.

Jones graduated from Ottawa Township High School in 2021 and is currently enrolled in five classes at IVCC, most of which center around business or his general education classes. His favorite of those being macroeconomics as he finds the large scale activities of the economy to be intriguing.

Jones is planning on transferring to Illinois State University in the fall of 2022 to pursue a degree in the business field.

Jones adds, “I want to pursue a degree in business because of the many opportunities it presents and learning the information on how the business world works will be helpful in everyday life.”

He currently does not participate in any school-related activities or extracurriculars as his schedule is quite busy. Jones currently balances a part-time job which he works four days a week as well as exercising daily, hanging out with his friends, and staying on top of his schoolwork which he makes his number one priority.

“I would give credit to my parents first and foremost for being very supportive whenever they can be, and then myself, knowing that one bad day isn’t going to ruin my future,” stated Jones when asked who his main support systems are for getting through his day-to-day life.

When asked about his experience at IVCC, Jones replied with, “My experience has definitely been a good one because you can start to understand more of what college really is. I would definitely recommend a person come here first if they’re not totally ready to go to a university at the moment like I was.”

Jones’ favorite aspect of IVCC is the friendliness and the overwhelming amount of support that the instructors offer. He especially appreciates the fact that teachers are willing to help and do not see it as a burden.

As for his least favorite part, it would be the short amount of time with quick deadlines for some of his work in different classes.