Events planned to celebrate Black History Month

Hope Beelman, IV Leader Editor

Black History Month events will begin at Illinois Valley Community College on Wednesday, Feb. 2 with a reading of Black poetry from 12-1 p.m. in the Student Life Center.

“Students, faculty and staff are invited to bring a poem about their favorite Black author and share it, or just come and listen,” said Amanda Cook Fesperman, IVCC professor of political science and history.

The upcoming Black History Month events in February are provided by the Black Student Association, DEI Committee, Jacobs Library and Student Activities who are coordinating to celebrate the month.

Furthermore, there will be several other events that will be scheduled soon, such as the following: IVCC alumnus Jibril Church, who led a discussion for Black History Month last year on HBO’s Lovecraft Country, will lead a discussion of the life, films and influence of actor Sidney Poitier.

A Soul Food luncheon will be available as well as a free trip to the DuSable Museum of African American History in Chicago, Ill.

“The trip will include the cost of admission, round trip transportation, and dinner,” explained Cook Fesperman. “Dates and locations for these events will be available soon and will be posted on campus.”

Additionally, there will be a slideshow presentation on display in the Student Life Center of African Americans in higher education. Jacobs Library will host a month-long electronic and physical display to celebrate Black History Month as well.

Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to contact Raven Bridges, Co-Director of the IVCC Black Student Association for more information at [email protected].