Black History Month events kick off

Brianna Sloop, IV Leader Staff

Black History Month, an annual observance in Canada, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and the United States, is celebrated this month at IVCC as well.

BHM is celebrated in February because it is the birth month of Frederick Douglass, a black abolitionist and writer, and Abraham Lincoln, who had an important role in shaping Black history.

Black History Month is celebrated as a way to honor and pay respect to the legacy left behind by African Americans who suffered and had to fight for freedom and equality. Black History Month is also celebrated in order to educate people about the history of African Americans, and remember or pay respect to all that they had to endure in terms of racial injustice. However, Black History Month is not a sad time; instead it celebrates the progress and accomplishments that African Americans have achieved. 

IVCC usually hosts many events throughout the month of February in order to celebrate Black History Month; however, due to the pandemic the events must be celebrated online. Since the celebrations will be hosted online, IVCC is unable to hold the annual soul food buffet, as well as the soul concert.

According to Amanda Cook-Fesperman, professor at IVCC, “The theme for this year’s Black History Month is the Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity.” She also stated, “The association for the study of African American life and history is providing most of the programs.”

On Feb. 24, there are two events being held, including the discussion of “How to be an Anti-Racist” by Ibram X. Kendi on zoom, and a program hosted on ASALH TV titled “Diving with a Purpose: Recovering and Reexamining Our Roots.” On Feb. 25, there will be a youtube link posted where IVCC Alumni Jibril Church will discuss the HBO television series “Lovecraft Country.”

On Feb. 26, the annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr writing contest winners reception will be hosted via zoom.

On the last day of Black History Month, there will be two events including, ASALH TV hosted by Chalene Dukes as she discusses Black Family and Education. The second event will be a partnership between ASALH and PBS Books where they will present a special conversation between Ngugi Wa Thiong’o, Nubia Kai, and Sundiata Cha-Jua.  IVCC encourages students to attend at least one of these events in order to broaden their perspectives and educate them about Black History.

Although no event is more important than another, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Writing Contest reception has been the most attended event in the past. This year, IVCC and other institutions have decided to partner with one another and promote each other’s events since all of them will be held online. This opportunity had allowed people to see a wider range of topics as well as hear from a variety of different people.