IVCC introduces One Book, One College

Iggy Lueck, Assistant Editor

This coming spring 2021 semester, IVCC will be introducing an activity called “One Book, One College.” The goal of this program is to bring community to the college by uniting all participants under the reading of the same book. 

One Book, One College functions by the college choosing a single book for all participants to read. The participants are then encouraged to attend events and discussions centering around the book so that there might be open conversations about the chosen text. It will function almost like a book club for the entire school. This is an excellent chance to engage with your peers and mentors alike over important issues, as well as a way to learn from those who might have a different perspective than your own. 

The spring semester’s book is “How to be an Antiracist” by Ibram X. Kendi. Chosen by the IVCC Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, this is a book relevant and applicable for all students and one all can learn from. 

Though this year One Book, One College kicks off in the spring, it will become an annual occurrence beginning in the fall semester of the 2021-22 school year. It will also be a part of Connect to Complete, an event similar to the system known as Score Big in the past. 

The hope is that this literature can bring the school together in one group unified and dedicated to understanding and learning a new concept or furthering their knowledge in an area that may already be familiar to them. 

One Book, One College is to be run through Jacob’s Library. To find more information online, check out this link. https://libguides.ivcc.edu/onebookonecollege