An ‘Appealing’ Keynote Speech: 2019 Graduation

Kaitlyn Ruppert, IV Leader Staff

IVCC will say goodbye to its sophomores and those who earned certificates this May during the 53rd annual commencement.

The commencement ceremony will take place at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, May 18, in the IVCC gymnasium.

According to Crystal Credi, administrative assistant of Student Services, there are 379 projected graduates to graduate this spring: “Out of these graduates, we have 202 walkers signed up as of now to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.”

Fifty-two percent of the graduating class intend to transfer to a four-year university to continue their education and earn a bachelor’s degree.

Circuit Judge Joseph Hettel has been selected to give the keynote address at commencement. A native of Ottawa, Judge Hettel graduated from Marquette High School. In 1987, he earned an associate’s degree from IVCC and was a National Junior College Athletic Association Honorable Mention All-American linebacker.

After earning the Juris doctorate from Chicago Kent College of Law, he began his legal career as an Assistant La Salle County State’s Attorney in 1994, was elected State’s Attorney in 2000 and re-elected in 2004.

In 2006, the Illinois Supreme Court appointed Hettel Resident Circuit Judge of the 13th Judicial Circuit, LaSalle County. He ran unopposed in 2008 and was retained in 2014.

Fran Brolley, director of Community Relations and Development, also stated the IVCC’s Wind Ensemble will be conducted by Gene Montgomery for the final time, as Montgomery is retiring after that performance.

IVCC’s graduation requirements vary greatly by the degree a student is obtaining. “For example, Certified Nursing Assistants only need one 8 credit hour class, whereas other degrees require up to 67 credit hours of specific coursework and electives,” said Credi.

Also at commencement:

• Clayton Zelenik of Princeton will read his winning Paul Simon Student Essay;

• IVCC’s Wind Ensemble will be conducted by Gene Montgomery for the final time as he is retiring after the performance;

• President Jerry Corcoran will welcome graduates and confer certificates and degrees;

• Vice President for Academic Affairs Deborah Anderson will present the Class of 2019;

• 2018-19 student trustee Joseph Marenda of Spring Valley will present the invocation; and

• 2019-20 student trustee Matthew Klein of Peru will present the benediction