Wild Card weekend brings surprises as the the NFL playoffs head into the Divisional round

Noah Simon, IV Leader Columnist

The NFL playoffs stared last weekend and provided some entraining games in the opening round.

The Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers started of the playoffs on Jan. 14, in a game that saw the 49ers overpowering the surprising playoff team from Seattle in the second half to come away with a 41-23 victory.

The 49ers will now have to face the Dallas Cowboys in the divisional round.

The most entertaining game of the NFL playoffs thus far was the matchup between Jacksonville and the Los Angeles Chargers.

After three first half interceptions by Jacksonville quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the chargers held a comfortable 27-0 lead.

Jacksonville outscored Los Angeles by 21 in the second half and Jacksonville kicker Riley Patterson nailed the game winning field goal with 3 seconds left to seal the comeback as the Jacksonville jaguars stun the Chargers 31-30.

Jacksonville is now challenged with a big task for the divisional round as they travel to Kansas City to play against the number one seeded chiefs.

The Buffalo Bills played the Miami Dolphins in a back and forth game that saw Buffalo survive with a narrow 34-31 victory.

Buffalo will now play against Cincinnati in the divisional round.

The New York Giants complete their return to the postseason with an impressive 31-24 win over the Minnesota Vikings, and now face the number one seed in the Philadelphia eagles in the divisional round.

The Baltimore Ravens, without star quarterback Lamar Jackson fell to last years surprise Super Bowl team, the Cincinnati Bengals 24-17.

The last game of the opening round saw the Dallas Cowboys end Tom Brady’s undefeated streak against them as they beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers  31-14.

Students at IVCC were asked about who they think will win the super bowl this year.  

Second-year student Logan said that he thinks the Philadelphia Eagles will defeat the Kansas City Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

First-year student Quenten also believes Philadelphia will win the Super Bowl, but thinks that their opponent will be the Buffalo Bills.

Second-year student Allyssa thinks that Buffalo will beat San Francisco in the Super Bowl.

I picked Buffalo to beat Philadelphia in this years Super Bowl, but like every year, the playoffs can always bring many surprises and teams that no one expected to win at all can make deep playoff runs therefore setting up a very interesting upcoming divisional round.