Bears offense, defense click at Bourbonnais training camp

Seth Opsal, IV Leader Sports Columnist

My summer was pretty eventful. I got to hang out with my friends, go to family picnics, and go to a lot of graduation parties. However, nothing beat going to the Chicago Bears training camp.

The camp was at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Ill. My first thoughts of the campus were that it was absolutely beautiful. Every day I went, the weather was perfect.

What was even better than the weather was players’ performances. The offense was clicking left and right as quarterback Mitchell Trubisky was throwing deep balls and connecting on almost every one. The defense also looked great — a really good sign for Bears fans this upcoming season as cornerbacks Kyle Fuller and Kevin Toliver II were following routes and covering great.On another positive note, wide receiver Kevin White seems to look back to 100 percent as he was not limited during any drills with contact.

Watching the team practice was fun, but it gets even better. When the practice is all over, the fans got an opportunity to meet all the players for autographs, pictures, and more. I ended up meeting amazing people and got to speak with many of them. I spoke with coach Matt Nagy for a short time and asked him a few questions.I asked about how he feels the offense will do this year. I asked about how he feels the offense will do this year. Nagy believes they will continue to get the chemistry going and some new guys were added but he likes how they look and hope it goes well into the season.

I also asked him what he predicted the record to be and he responded with a big smile and said he hoped the record would be really good because they have a lot of young talent on both ends

On my final day of going to the camp, I talked to tight end Zach Miller and also took a photo with him. When I asked about how he has been recovering he said, “it’s going well, I definitely hope I will be able to compete and be back on the field with my guys soon, but I am going take it step by step to get back to one hundred percent.”  Before he left I told him that his overruled touchdown catch should not have been overruled, and he said, “you’re damn right, thank you.”

And that ended my trip to the Chicago Bears training camp, I look forward to coming back to Bears camp next year.