Key players stand out for Eagles

Tyler Towne, Sports Editor

The IVCC Eagles have had a rough 2018 campaign. Out of the gate, the Eagles are 13-23 overall and 2-11 in conference.

While the team may have a disappointing record thus far, there are some key players that have stood out.

Brady Huebbe’s bat has been rather impressive this year. Huebbe is hitting a team leading .400 while also leading the team in home runs (9) and runs batted in (38).

“I’ve just been trying to keep my composure, and not think about the score,” said Huebbe, when asked how he can continue to hit even in losing efforts. “I focus on my fundamentals, relax, and let the game come to me.”

Huebbe along with fellow L-P graduate, Austin Prybylinski, have been driving in a lot of runs with Prybylinski’s 22.

Putnam County graduate and Sophomore Neal Stasell has been getting it done with the bat and his legs with 18 RBI’s and a team leading 8 stolen bases.

On the mound this year, Stasell, Sullivan Stickann, and Jake Hanlon have been leading the way as far as innings pitched go.

The three combine for over 60 innings pitched and 53 strikeouts. Prybylinski has led the team thus far on the mound in strikeouts totaling 25 in his first 19 innings pitched.

“I love pitching and I’ve been doing it for a very long time, said the freshman Prybylinski. “It’s really special for me to pitch at the collegiate level.

I am happy, but not yet satisfied, with how I have done on the mound.”

The Eagles still have six more conference games to go before the season ends, against Sauk Valley and Carl Sandburg, before heading into the postseason.

The playoffs are a completely different season, however, and the guys know it.

“Everyone gets a little more serious and guys start to buckle down when it becomes crunch time,” according to Huebbe. “I definitely think we have some postseason magic in us.”