7th-Inning Stretch

Softball season winds down

Tyler Towne, Sports Editor

The Lady Eagles have had an unconventional season.

After returning home from their opening games in Florida, they have found weather that is not conducive to their sport. From rain to snow, the softball team has had their fair share of rescheduling and postponements. But the bad weather has not yet dampened the mood for the Lady Eagles.

“Softball is my entire life,” said sophomore Grace Honiotes. I’m always ready for game day. Unfortunately, Mother Nature won’t let us play when we want to. But my mind is always game ready.”
Since returning from the trip, the Lady Eagles are 5-7. While the record won’t blow many people away, the girls are confident with their team going forward.

“I think there were a lot of games that we could have won this season so far, but it just came down to a few mistakes that proved to be the difference,” said second-year player, Brianna Lau. “We are still just trying adjust and work well together as a team.”

The offense has been there thus far for the Lady Eagles led by L-P Alumnus Quincie Weber, and two freshmen Rena Barroso and Brenna McCann. McCann leads the team in runs batted in (RBIs) this year with 15 while hitting a remarkable .500. Barroso and Weber have been getting on base a lot and scoring a majority of the runs for the Lady Eagles so far. Weber is hitting .452 and has scored 14 runs while Barroso follows with a .386 average and 12 runs scored.

In the circle, its been a three-woman crew between McCann, sophomore Lauren Tjaden, and Ottawa Marquette alumnus Maddie Dougherty.

McCann and Tjaden have led the way with 31 innings pitched a piece, while Dougherty has added 13. Tjaden has led the team striking out 21 batters, followed by McCann with 15 and 6 by Dougherty.

If the Lady Eagles can clean up the defensive side of the ball (33 errors), look for them to get right back into the swing of things and make a run at the end of the year.

“We have a lot of talent on this team,” said Lau. “I know we can put it together by the postseason and turn some heads in the tournament.”