Eagles look to improve pitching, defense

Aaron Pellican, Assistant Sports Editor

Runs have not been an issue this year for the Eagles as they have been producing runs at an efficient rate.

The problem lies on the other side of the ball where the Eagles team ERA sits at a disappointing 8.008.

The Eagles are sitting near the .500 mark at this point in the season with a record of 7-11 through 18 games.

If the Eagles can clean up on the defensive side of the ball and especially on the mound, this team may have what it takes to make a good run for the playoffs.

The 2017 team was able to put together a 15-24 record on the season last year after getting off to an extremely slow start.

The team started last season a detrimental 0-9, but was able to bounce back and string together some wins to reach that 15-24 record.

Coach Jason Goode has had to make adjustments this year after losing a good chunk of sophomores from last year’s team. Some sophomores from last year’s team worth noting are AJ Gaeta, Ben Bejster, Jared Lynn, Ross Weber and Cody Zinke.

Losing these players was tough for Coach Goode as they accounted for a combined batting average of .308 and losing Weber and Zinke means losing arms on the mound.

Fortunately, IVCC does have a few returning sophomores who are making a big impact.

Brady Huebbe is leading the team so far through 18 games. Huebbe is seeing the ball better than ever this year as he has gotten off to a hot start with a whopping .386 batting average.

Huebbe is a next level talent who has already committed to Eastern Illinois University to play baseball after this year at IVCC.

Along with Huebbe, returning Sophomores Logan Bundy and Neal Stasell are stepping up in a big way so far this year each with batting over .300 after not seeing the field as much last year.

“I’m pretty excited for the rest of the year with these guys,” said Huebbe. “I have developed on and off the field relationships with several of my teammates and it is for sure going to be a fun year.”

The wave of new freshmen talent is off to a good start, led by freshman Andrew Bacon who is hitting a tremendous .447 at this point in the season.

His bat has been a huge addition to the team and he is accompanied by freshmen Austin Prybylinski and Dustin Cambell who are both stepping into their roles nicely as well.

These freshmen are beginning to learn from their experienced teammates.

“There are a lot of sophomores to look up to who have experience from last year,” said Prybylinski. “They know what to expect and can help the freshmen learn and adapt to the college level.”

The Eagles are slated to return to action at home on April 8 with games against Milwaukee Tech at Dickinson Field in Oglesby.
For a full look at the IVCC schedule, roster and statistics, go to the webpage, ivcceagles.com.