Lady Eagles show improvement in 2017

Goin’ in for the Kill - 
Sophomore Grace Honiotes skies for the kill in one of her final games as a Lady Eagle.

Goin’ in for the Kill - Sophomore Grace Honiotes skies for the kill in one of her final games as a Lady Eagle.

Griselda Chavez

Griselda Chavez

Tyler Towne, Sports Editor/Personality

The IVCC women’s volleyball team had room for improvement following a disappointing 2016 season.

In 2016, they finished the regular season with a dismal 2-31 record. This year however, the Lady Eagles showed more promise and improved upon their win total drastically.

The improvement was led by sophomores Emma Lohr-Fandel and Hanna Bima. They totaled 322 and 267 kills perspectively for the Lady Eagles leading them to 12 victories on the year.

Freshmen stepped up in a big way also this year as Kaitlyn Edgcomb finished with 166 kills of her own and Riley Johnson led the way in digs this year with a whopping 504 of them.

Jenna Lusietto and Megan Thompson also chimed in on the Freshman progress with over 100 kills a piece.

After being shutout in conference play last year(0-8) the team earned quality conference victories this year against Kishwaukee, Highland and Black Hawk-Moline and finished 3-6.

While the team did finish well below the .500 mark at 12-24, the team showed signs that they are heading in the right direction. The talented freshmen class will look to improve on this season’s win total, in hopes of making a deep run in 2018.