Editorial

Our free press, courtesy of the First Amendment

Pixels Photo labeled for reuse

Pixels Photo labeled for reuse

Martha Hoffman, Editor-In-Chief

“The only security of all is in a free press.” — Thomas Jefferson

You are holding a piece of your First Amendment rights. Consider it a gift from the Founding Fathers.

Our free press is called the Fourth Estate, referring to its separation from our three-branch government. Not having a stake in the game, the free press serves as the unfettered voice and informer of the public without intervention from the will of the government.

It might be uncomfortable for the government from time to time, but it is ultimately what allows that government to continue to serve the people the way it was intended.

Former Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black stated it this way—

“In the First Amendment the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government’s power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain forever free to censure the Government.”

As a newspaper, this task is one we take very seriously. The IV Leader serves as a forum for open discussion, debate, and sharing of information and ideas. We are confident this will only serve to make us, this college, and this nation better.

The framers of our government knew from experience that a free press was imperative, and that it gave the opportunity for uninhibited discourse.

We are to hold ourselves and our government accountable, and the press, whether print or online, gives us the medium to do just that.
So, find your voice and express your opinion.

Listen to the facts about the issue from reliable news sources.

Listen to what others have to say and what merit those ideas have. Find common ground and keep an open mind.
As citizens of the United States, it is our privilege to disagree, to debate, and to work together towards our common goal of liberty and justice for all.

The free press is ours to enjoy, protect, and treasure.

Let’s use it.