Trustee accepts continued budget challenges

Matt Pehoski, Student Trustee

Hello everyone!

My name is Matthew Pehoski (feel free to call me Matt) and I have recently been elected as student trustee for the 2017-2018 school year.

I am very excited to hold the student trustee position and represent our student body at the board meetings.

You might be wondering “Who is this guy?” Let me give you some background about myself. I live in La Salle, graduated LP High School in May of 2016 and am now studying accounting while attending IVCC.

I knew that I wanted to make the most of my time at IVCC, so at the beginning of last semester, I chose to run for a student government position on the freshmen programming board.

I enjoyed my first semester participating in student government so much that I planned to run again my sophomore year.

Initially, I wanted to run for treasurer since I thought that it would give me some good experience with accounting and finance, but Cory Tomasson, the student government advisor, urged me to run for the position of student trustee as he thought I would be a good fit for it. I spoke to the previous trustee, Sarah Tipton, about what the position encompasses. As Sarah told me more about the position, I became more interested in running.

I got my petition signed by fifty students so my name could be on the ballot and prepared for the election.

The main goal that I want to accomplish while acting as the student trustee is to reach out to the student body and get their opinions on issues that pertain to the college.

In the unique position of student trustee, I will be able to pass on the student body’s viewpoint on issues to the Board of Trustees. The most imperative issue that I anticipate I will have to deal with as trustee will be the state refusing to pass a budget and leaving our college without money that we need to operate. To be as informed about the school’s budget as I can, I plan on joining the Audit and Finance Committee.

The Audit and Finance Committee will allow me to have a deeper understanding of the college’s financial position as it will be studying the college’s funds more in-depth than the regular board meetings.

I am truly grateful to be in this incredible position to represent the student body.

I am excited to be in this position and will work as hard as I can to be a great liaison between the student body and the Board of Trustees.