Increase your involvement in IVCC campus life

Sarah Tipton, Student Trustee

Hello, IVCC!

As always, I am hoping your semester is going well. Feel free to take a moment and appreciate that we are almost at our halfway mark of the semester. I wanted to take this opportunity to talk to you about some important upcoming events for IVCC.

Some of you may remember last year during March Madness the Student Government hosted a competition that I’m happy to say that we are bringing it back this year. Starting March 17, we will be providing NCAA tournament brackets for those of you who donate canned goods. The more you donate the more brackets you may fill out and you may fill up to three brackets.

All proceeds will be donated to the Illinois Valley Food Pantry. This year’s winner will receive a $25 IVCC bookstore gift certificate. Don’t forget to come by the SGA Office March 17 with your donation and join in the madness!

Speaking of SGA, the Student Government Elections are quickly approaching. Are you a student who enjoys getting involved on campus? Are you looking for leadership role at IVCC? If so, maybe student government is for you.

As a student government member, you will play a role in important decision making here on campus. There are also many volunteer and leadership opportunities as well.

Student Government for me has opened up several opportunities that I would never have imagined myself experiencing. Just this past year we were able to meet with administration and local politicians to discuss Illinois budget crisis.

If you are interested in running, petitions will be available near office E 306 Friday, March 17, and must be returned to Cory

Tomasson by Thursday, March 23. This year’s election will be held in the student life space starting April 6 through the 7 from 8 to 2 p.m.

Finally, as I mentioned in my last article, Advocacy Day is April 5th. Student Government will be heading to Springfield to speak with our local legislators, Sue Rezin and Jerry Long to discuss the impacts of the Illinois Budget on IVCC. If you are also interested in attending Advocacy Day with the SGA, please don’t hesitate to email me, or Cory Tomasson, our SGA advisor. We would love the support!

Tipton can be reached at K00305F3@office365.ivcc.edu.