Board candidates present views at forum

Mia Mazzorana, Staff Writer

The eight candidates for the three open seats on the IVCC Board of Trustees presented their views on issues like the role of the community college and diversity, equity and inclusion efforts during a forum March 22 at the college.

The forum presentation is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAVJyoenfQw&t=25s

Julie Ajster, Rebecca Donna, Bill Hunt, Lori Ganey, Crystal Loughran, Jay McCracken, Teresa Schmidt and Angie Stevenson are the eight candidates running for three seats in the election on April 4. Stevenson, McCracken, and Hunt are incumbents. If chosen, the given term for the position is six years to serve on the board.

The Forum event was sponsored by the Illinois Valley Community College Democrats, College Republicans, Student Government Association, and D322.

Mike Phillips, College Democrats adviser and Geology Professor, emphasized the importance of this event saying, “Students and community members should attend because the Board of Trustees plays an important role in the operation of the college. They hire the president, approve the budget including tuition and fees, approve new programs, and set policies for the college.”

Phillips explains that “This is an opportunity to find out about these people before voting on Tuesday, April 4.”