Financial Aid welcomes new advisor

Ashton+Linson

Hope Beelman

Ashton Linson

Hope Beelman, IV Leader Editor

Before assuming his role at Illinois Valley Community College as a financial aid advisor, Ashton Linson earned his associate degree and transferred to Aurora University in Aurora, Ill., where he received his Bachelor of Science in Business and Bachelor of Arts in Sport Management.

“I have always been a passionate sports fan and wanted to learn about the intricacy that took place behind the scenes to provide fans with the game day experience,” explained Linson on why he chose to study his specific majors.

Originally from Streator, Ill., Linson has always enjoyed the tight-knit feeling of the Illinois Valley community and being close to his family.

“I’m excited to be a part of IVCC and hope to help make the college experience less stressful,” Linson stated when asked what students should know about him.

Keina Arteaga, a financial aid student worker, described Linson as a happy source of energy with a refreshing attitude.

“Ashton is also a very kind person who is always eager to help a student or student worker,” Arteaga expressed.

Although he began working as a financial aid advisor in November 2021, Linson previously started at IVCC as an Enrollment Services Assistant in admissions, records, and registration last summer.

“Since returning to IVCC as staff, everyone I have encountered is passionate about the students and helping them achieve their goals as they prepare for their future,” elaborated Linson.

Financial aid director Eric Johnson described Linson as intelligent, energetic, and dynamic. His fellow advisors appreciate his eagerness to learn and take on the daily challenges financial aid presents with a positive attitude.

“Ashton is a great team player and is catching on super quick,” stated advisor Isamar Taylor. “In such a short period of time, he is already understanding the financial aid process, and does a great job in communicating with his coworkers and students!”

Additionally, advisor Jill Wohrley expressed how Linson is quickly setting in as a valuable member of the team.

“Financial aid is a complex process, and he is already demonstrating a good understanding of how to best meet the needs of our students,” Wohrley said. “We are lucky to have him here at IVCC!”

Outside of helping students receive aid to attend college, Linson enjoys hiking, reading, watching sports, spending time with his family, and playing board and video games.

Additionally, he noted one of his greatest achievements was working in the front office of an NHL team.