2022-23 FAFSA opens Oct. 1

Hope Beelman, IV Leader Editor

The 2022-2023 FAFSA, Free Application for Student Aid, will open Oct. 1, 2021 for students to complete. Financial Aid Director, Eric Johnson, explained that due to a process called verification, it would be beneficial for all students to submit their FAFSA sooner as they may need to turn in additional paperwork and documents to the Financial Aid office.

Students may also be selected to receive the Illinois MAP Grant which Johnson explained as a pot of money that could be depleted if students complete the FAFSA later than recommended.

“Students would want to make sure they take advantage of all the so-called ‘free money’ in financial aid, so your grants and scholarships,” stated Johnson. “To receive the [Federal] Pell Grant, they have to do the FAFSA first.”

By completing the FAFSA, the Financial Aid office would be able to see if students may potentially qualify for other grants and scholarships as some outside agencies require it to be finished. To apply for Foundation office scholarships in the spring, students are required to have their 2022-2023 FAFSA submitted for IVCC or an alternate application.

“Taking care of the FAFSA would also help alleviate one of those needed steps in applying for Foundation scholarships,” Johnson added.

Johnson recommended that students have their 2020 taxes available as soon as possible as they will need them in the application process. To send a FAFSA to IVCC, students will need to include the school code, 001705.

The upcoming FAFSA can be found at both fafsa.ed.gov and studentaid.gov. Johnson explained that the Financial Aid staff would be more than happy to help assist students in completing the application.

Students can stop by the Financial Aid office located in CTC 101, call (815) 224-0438, or email [email protected] if they have any questions or concerns.