Scholarship recipients, donors recognized

Miriam Hoffman, IV Leader Assistant Editor

[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”21″ display=”basic_thumbnail” thumbnail_crop=”0″]Nearly 500 students, parents, and sponsors attended the 23rd annual IVCC Foundation Scholarship Recognition Reception held in the gym on campus on Aug. 29.

The scholarships awarded range from specific departmental awards to general achievement scholarships.

According to the IVCC Foundation Office, this year’s awards included 20 21st Century Scholars Society recipients and 20 Illinois State Scholar “15 to Finish” recipients.

In addition to recognizing the 268 scholarship recipients for the 2019-2020 school year, guests at the reception enjoyed a keynote from 1977 IVCC alum Bud Matthews of Brookfield, Wis.

Matthews is a graduate of Hall High School and played football for the IVCC Apaches before transferring to Wayne State in Nebraska on a football scholarship.

After sharing his journey of advancement from a struggling young high school student, to a motivated college athlete, to a successful businessman, Matthews left the crowd with his parting words of wisdom. “Never, never stop learning… Never, never give up… Never, never stop giving,” he encouraged.

Matthews and his wife Sandy created a scholarship for graduates of Hall High School and joined the many other generous donors in mingling with student recipients during the reception.

IVCC Director of Community Relations and Development, Fran Brolley, was the master of ceremonies for the reception. Jerry Corcoran, president of the college, gave a welcome and presented scholarship awards along with Donna Swiskoski, Kim Novak, and Susan T. Schmitt, leaders from the IVCC Foundation Board.

The 2020 Foundation Scholarship Application will become available near the beginning of the Spring 2020 semester.

For more information on scholarships, visit https:// www.ivcc.edu/financialaid/ scholarship_information. php or stop by the IVCC Foundation Office in C-202.
scholarship recipients, donors recognized.