New Faculty Spotlight – Richard Marko

Grace Desponett, IV Leader Staff

Richard Marko

Automotive Technology Instructor

Where are you from originally?
I’m originally from Marseilles, IL.

Where did you attend college and what degree do you hold?

I first attended IVCC to get my Associate in Applied Science for Automotive Technology. Then, I transferred down to Southern Illinois University – Carbondale to get my Bachelor of Science in Automotive Technology.

What classes or positions are you currently assigned?

I am the new Automotive Instructor and am currently teaching Basic and Advanced Engine Performance, as well as Braking Systems over on the east campus in Building J.

Are you new to teaching? If not, where did you teach before IVCC?
I taught here at IVCC last summer as a Teacher’s Assistant, but other than that, I am new to having my own classes.

What are your impressions, not only of the students, but also the atmosphere at IVCC, and your fellow faculty and staff?

My first impressions of the students are that they are bright, ready and willing to learn. The atmosphere here is very promoting of that ambition and is really a family type environment. My fellow faculty and staff are invaluable. They truly make IVCC the amazing place that it is. They are welcoming, helpful, and just a joy to be around.

So far, what is your favorite aspect of IVCC?

So far, my favorite aspect of IVCC would be that it is a school that cares deeply about its students. The school has a great sense of community.

What is your favorite thing about the Illinois Valley area?

My favorite thing about the area is, hands down, my morning commute over the Route 251 bridge that spans the Illinois River. It is such a breath taking view as the morning fog rolls over the tree tops.

What should a student know about you?

Students should know that I greatly enjoy dad jokes, puns, and memes. Please, share them with me!