Campus Question

What is your opinion on taking college credit classes in high school? What are the pros and cons?

Chloe Garkey, IV Leader Staff

“I feel that it’s a great opportunity that allows students to get credits out of the way. However I don’t like that I can’t spend as much time on my high-school classes.” -Bridget Crouch

“I think that college classes are a great way to further your education career without it being too overbearing on your other coursework. It does take a lot more time that normal classes normally would, but in the end it’s worth it.”          -Sean Kissel

“They are an amazing idea, the credit that you received from them is worth every inch of extra hard work that it makes you act upon. I am so glad I did them.” -Ben McGrath

“I feel that taking college classes is a great opportunity to get ahead and lighten the load for the future years. It is also a great opportunity to help figure out what you would like to do in the future. You can really find where you shine the most and that helps a lot when you’re not sure what you want to do in life. It is also a great preparation for college instead of diving straight into it.” -Aubrey McCallum

“When you think of challenges to face, not a lot of people would look for them in a classroom. It’s a big step up that can change how you go about through high school, which it certainly has for me. In the end though, it’s so rewarding when you’re a step ahead of the game in college, not having to take simple gen ed classes that you’ve already done” -Angelo Weyer

“I think that it is valuable because it can save you time and money by being able to take these classes earlier. But it can also have a negative effect on you if you get poor grades in these cases because then you start your college career in the wrong direction. ” -Lucas Hoffman

“I personally like being able to take IVCC classes during high school. I feel like they give me the opportunity to take the courses I will need for college so that I can not only be more prepared for what’s to come in college but I also get the basic requirements out of the way. This gives me more room to join other classes that will help me with my career and helps take some of the pressure away from a class such as speech that I have completed that I would have needed to complete at any college no matter what career path I choose. Some of the cons however when taking college courses in high school are that you do feel a little extra stress sometimes especially with trying to maintain good grades in your other classes and trying to be a part of extracurricular activities and sports. Even though it can be a little overwhelming at times I think it’s a good idea that can help you in the long run and can make life a little easier in the future.” -Andrea Sanderson