SKD award winners

Staff, Staff Writer

Illinois Valley Community College’s Catie Calderon of La Salle earned a second in personal essay and Taylor Johnson of Tonica a second in literary analysis at the recent Sigma Kappa Delta writing competition in Cincinnati.

The national competition also awards firsts, seconds and thirds in poetry and short fiction. Winners receive a monetary award and their works are published in a national literary journal.

Sigma Kappa Delta is the English honor society for two-year colleges. IVCC’s chapter, Mu Alpha, was chartered in 1997 by instructor Kimberly Radek-Hall and is co-sponsored by instructors Radek-Hall and Delores Robinson.

Attending the annual convention hosted by SKD and its sister organizations Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society for four-year colleges and universities, and the National English Honor Society for high schools, were Johnson and Mu Alpha Secretary Justin Lewis of Princeton.

The conference, “Seeking Freedom,” included round table presentations, guest speakers and the awards luncheon.

Participants also toured the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center and the house and museum dedicated to Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of the anti-slavery novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.

Mu Alpha recognizes and rewards achievements in English language and literature, provides cultural stimulation and promotes interest in English on campus and in the community. In addition, IVCC’s chapter fosters English in all its aspects, including creative and critical writing, promotes professional interaction among members and exhibits high standards of academic achievement.

Student officers for 2017-18 are President Akari Oya of Peru, Vice-President BriAnna Hagenson of Sheridan and Secretary Lewis.