News Briefs

Staff, Staff Writer

Adult Education event slated for May 15

Illinois Valley Community College’s Adult Education program will honor those who have passed the GED test to earn a high school equivalency, have obtained citizenship and have completed the Bridge to Careers program at 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 15 in the Dr. Mary Margaret Weeg Cultural Centre.

Those who have passed the GED test or obtained citizenship and have not participated in a past ceremony and would like to take part this year should call IVCC’s Adult Education program at (815) 224-0379 before May 4 to request an invitation. The public is welcome to attend the ceremony.

Wind ensemble concert set for May 3

Illinois Valley Community College’s Wind Ensemble will offer a free concert at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, May 3, in the Dr. Mary Margaret Weeg Cultural Centre.

The performance will include the music of Percy Grainger, Sammy Nestico, Schonberg/Kretzmer, Robert Sheldon, Johan de Meij and W. A. Mozart.

Under the direction of Gene Montgomery, the ensemble includes IVCC students, local and regional music educators and community members dedicated to the promotion of quality wind and percussion music.

Choir concert, student recitals planned May 7

The Illinois Valley Community College choir will be in concert with student musician recitals at 7 p.m. Monday, May 7 in the Dr. Mary Margaret Weeg Cultural Centre.

Choir and voice students perform under the direction of instructor Jenilyn Roether and piano students perform under the direction of instructor Brad Fritz. The performance is free and the public is welcome.