News Briefs

Staff, Staff Writers

16th Congressional District democratic candidate forum Feb. 27

The College Democrats of Illinois Valley Community College will host a 16th Congressional District Democratic Candidates’ forum from noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 27 in CTC 124-125.

The forum is open to students, the public and the press. Each candidate will have three minutes to introduce themselves. College Democrats President Kellsie Edgcomb will ask questions developed by members of the College Democrats and questions submitted on cards from the audience.

For information contact Mike Phillips at (815) 224-0394 or [email protected].

Local Democratic candidate forum Mar. 1
The College Democrats of IVCC will host a forum for Democrats running for LaSalle County Treasurer, LaSalle County Clerk, and 76th State

House District from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Mar. 1 in CTC 124-125.

The forum is open to students, the public and the press. Each candidate will have three minutes to introduce themselves. A moderator will ask questions developed by members of the College Democrats and questions submitted on cards from the audience.

Massage Therapy Information Session Feb. 28
A massage therapy information session will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 21 in Room CTC124 at Illinois Valley Community College and from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28 at Ottawa Center, 321 W. Main St.

Representatives from the counseling center, admissions and records, the massage therapy program and recent graduates will be available to discuss what it is like to be a massage therapist, what a massage therapist does and the job market.

The session will also cover admission requirements and courses students should take before applying to the program.

Instructor Cherie Monterastelli said, “If someone is seeking a personally satisfying career that creates close professional relationships, offers a flexible schedule and the ability to work independently, massage therapy might be for them.

Due to space limitations, prospective students are encouraged to RSVP with Monterastelli at (815) 224-0507 or [email protected].

Softball Clinic Feb. 17 and 18
The Illinois Valley Community College softball team will host the 19th annual IVCC Eagles Softball Clinic Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 17 and 18 in IVCC’s gym.

Coaches and current players will offer softball instruction in hitting, bunting, fielding, throwing, base running and communication.

There will be two sessions each day. On Saturday, participants in grades 2-4 will meet from 8 to 10:30 a.m. and participants in grades 5-8 will meet from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

On Sunday, grades 2-4 will meet 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and grades 5-8 from 1:30 to 4 p.m.

Cost of the clinic is $30 per player and includes five hours of instruction and a clinic T-shirt. If a player can only come one day, the cost is $20.

All players should bring a glove and tennis shoes (no spikes or cleats allowed). If a player has her own bat, she is allowed to bring it. Please make sure all items have the player’s name on them for identification purposes.

To register, contact softball coach Cory Tomasson at (815) 224-0471 or the athletic department at (815) 224-0472.

Feb. 26 SAGE Hoodie Day
Students Advocating Gender Equality is sponsoring a Hoodie Day on Monday, Feb. 26.

SAGE would like to encourage everyone to remember that people die from gun and other forms of violence because of assumptions that made about their identities in terms of race, sex, gender, sexuality, and other aspects of appearance—or because they do not envision a relationship the same way as someone else.

SAGE encourages the wearing of a hooded sweatshirt on the anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s death as a protest to such violence.