Black History Month events still to come

Martha Hoffman, Editor-In-Chief

Illinois Valley Community College has several free events scheduled during the month of February for Black History Month sponsored by the Black Student Association (BSA) and the IVCC Diversity Team.

All events occur from noon to 1 p.m. in the Ralph Scriba Conference Center Room CTC124-125.

“Inspired by the Dream” Wednesday, Feb. 21 features inspiring speeches by members of the BSA as well as other IVCC students.

The BSA will also present “Being Black in the Illinois Valley” Monday, Feb. 26 with students and community members sharing their views and personal reflections of their treatment in the community.

The Black History Month events end with the Dr. King Writers’ Panel Reception Wednesday, Feb. 28 in Room C316.

The panel includes writers sharing pieces they created about civil rights and the civil rights movement.

Writers may opt to have their work appear online on the college’s River Currents Literary Blog.

IVCC political science instructor Amanda Cook Fesperman said, “We’re excited to have a variety of discussions on campus to highlight Black History Month.

“In addition to the scheduled events, we’re displaying accomplishments of 18 influential African Americans on monitors in the Peter Miller Community Technology and on social media.”

Events that have already occurred month have included the soul food buffet and concert, “Get Out” movie discussion, and a discussion led by J.Q. Church, Yulandist Brown and Amanda Cook Fesperman on Joyner Lucas’ song and video entitled “I’m Not a Racist.”

For information, contact Cook Fesperman at [email protected] or by calling 224-0203.