Want free money?

Foundation scholarships due Feb. 8

Erica Lawless, Staff Writer

The IVCC Foundation scholarship deadline is Feb. 8 for the 2018-19 school year.

When applying, your one essay will be reviewed and scored for all general scholarships indicated.

According to Donna Swiskoski, administrative assistant in the Foundation office and Foundation Board secretary, “It’s worth your time.”

Any IVCC student can apply: both incoming freshmen and currently enrolled students. There are scholarships available for students, regardless of GPA and major.

All applicants are required to fill out FASFA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and apply for admission to IVCC, all by the application deadline.

Even if a student knows he will not be eligible for federal financial aid because of income, the FAFSA must still be completed for IVCC scholarship eligibility.

Scholarship award amounts vary based on available funds. The minimum award amount is $500 and can be up to $5,000. The scholarships are awarded on the assumption that the recipient will be enrolled at IVCC as a full time student (12+ credit hours) for the 2018-19 school year, unless the scholarship requirements are otherwise stated.

Swiskoski emphasizes that students should take their time when it comes to completing the essay because you are awarded scholarships based on the essay you write. You want to make yourself stand out from any other applicant, she said.

To be considered for any program scholarships, you must check the specific box on the application. There are individual requirements, so make sure you read all of the options listed.

The IVCC Foundation was founded in 1976 with $100,000 and now that fund is up to $3,000,000, said Swiskoski.

Each year around 300 students apply for scholarships, which is a low number considering about 4,000 students are enrolled at IVCC.

There is more information on IVCC’s website under “Scholarships.”

Swiskoski can be reached at 815-224-0557 or at Donna_Swiskoski.ivcc.edu. Applications are available in Room C-202.