Tomorrow’s educators prepare

Submitted Photo

At Spirit Day T.E.A.C.H Unified officers Alyssa McCauley, Angel-Nicole Kizer, Advisor Jill Urban-Bollis, Brianna Hagenson and Tifanie Kreft.

Alyssa McCauley, Staff Writer

T.E.A.C.H Unified is a club that was founded in 2009. The club partners with Special Olympics/Project Unify and transition programs in the Illinois Valley to promote education and connection with people of all ability levels. This club is student-run with the help of Education Coordinator Jill Urban-Bollis and Disability Services Coordinator Tina Hardy.

The goal of this club is to make members aware of education-related issues within the community, school, college and across the nation. T.E.A.C.H was also created to help future teachers and others interested in helping professions create a sense of community and to help members make connections with people currently working in the field.

The club has been succeeding in its goals since the beginning. T.E.A.C.H has held numerous events involving the community. In the past, the club has held different events like the Dr. Seuss Birthday Bash and Read for the Record to encourage reading in the community. Also, the club has held events for Respect day, “a campaign to put an end to the R (retarded) word,” and promote equal treatment for all people.

Club President Angel-Nicole Kizer noted that the club, with help of other student groups, “collected 485 pounds of food for the Illinois Valley Food Pantry in the fall of 2016.”

The club has not only been successful in their collecting projects, but also in coordinating a Special Olympics basketball demo night to create a fun evening for area Special Olympics clubs, athletes, and attendees to enjoy.

Anyone who has interest in being part of T.E.A.C.H. can self-enroll in the IVCC Blackboard page “TEACH”. Meetings are typically held on the first Tuesday of the month with the next meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

The group is run by committed students: President Kizer, Vice President Brianna Hagenson, and secretaries Alyssa McCauley and Tifanie Kreft.
Contact any of the above people with questions. Contact information can be found within the IVCC TEACH Blackboard page.