Ag Open House inspires students

Martha Hoffman, Staff writer

Prospective students learned about IVCC’s agriculture program at the open house April 6, learning about program opportunities, talking with current IVCC agriculture students and touring campus.

To start the morning, high school students from the area participated in a discussion with current IVCC agriculture students, learning about the program and college from people experiencing it firsthand.

College President Jerry Corcoran welcomed students and shared about the college’s commitment to the community, saying there was a need for an agriculture program, so IVCC is answering that need.

Willard Mott, IVCC agriculture instructor and program coordinator, presented information about the program, explaining course and degree offerings. The current Agricultural Transfer degree was discussed, and the Associate of Applied Science degree in Agricultural Business Management was announced, which is to be launched in Fall 2017.

Campus tours were given, and students participated in a hands-on experiment in the agriculture lab.

High school agriculture instructors who brought students were excited about the opportunities that IVCC’s program offers to their students, according to a press release from IVCC. Seneca High School student teacher Buddy Haas is quoted in the press release, saying, “IVCC is in a huge ag community; their program will become a tremendous asset for high school graduates interested in ag.”