Students asked to complete training on discrimination, sexual assault

Cheri Voigt, IV Leader Staff Writer

Recently students, staff and faculty have received emails by IVCC to administer Title IX Training as part of the Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act, or SaVE Act, through workplace/campus answers in order to address the issues of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking.

The Title IX Training focuses on preventing sex-based discrimination against all students, regardless of gender. It also states that college campuses must be proactive against sexual harassment and have an established procedure in the event of a report being filed.

“It places an emphasis on the seriousness on the issue and provokes thought about situations that have been far too common on college campuses across the country,” Mark Grzybowski, associate vice president for student services, stated.
As of 2013, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), reauthorized by President Obama, requires colleges and universities to provide education through training to students and employees.

The VAWA Act was originally signed in 1994 to make resources easily accessible for victims of sexual violence.
All federally funded institutions are required to administer this training. The school is maintaining its compliance with the reauthorized SaVE Act by offering it.

The SaVe Act calls for transparency, accountability, education and collaboration between colleges and the U.S. Departments of Justice, Education, and Health and Human Services.

Though the training is not required, the school officials strongly advise the students to complete the training.
So far there have been 301 completions but the school hopes there will be more. Training is not overly burdensome and does not need to be completed in one sitting.

Currently, the school is also working with Freedom House on some other initiatives on campus and offering extended hours for counseling to complement what is already offered, according to Grzybowski.

“The training is worthwhile and only scratches the surface of what we will be offering and what will become common across all federally funded colleges and universities.” Grzybowski said.