FAFSA filing help available to students

Saralyn Simpson, IV Leader Staff

If you need help paying for college, applying for financial aid can help.
Students need to apply for financial aid as soon as possible, school officials said.
Even if you filed last year, you need to reapply for the 2012-2013 school year. You can go online to  to apply.
If your income total is estimated, it is okay, as long as you go back and correct it after taxes.
Financial Aid Director Patty Williamson said, “Unlike in the past, now you cannot receive financial aid for summer classes unless you did not go full time, or only attended one semester of classes.”
In addition, Williamson said students can only receive a limited number of grants now; 12 or less full-time semesters during a college career, so students must be smart about choosing credit hours and dropping classes.
Here at IVCC, the Financial Aid staff is available to help you complete your FAFSA, (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), if you need it.  It is called FAFSA Friday and is offered from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. almost every Friday until April 27.
If you are interested in receiving help, contact the Financial Aid Office at (815) 224-0438 to inform them when you will be attending. All that is needed is the student’s tax returns and W-2 forms and the student’s parents’ forms if the student is a dependent.
About 40 percent of students at IVCC receive some type of financial aid.  There is not an average award given; it is all based on financial need.  Additional money can be given as well, including student loans and grants.
Williamson encourages students to apply now. Students should apply as soon as possible. A lot of students don’t realize that the later they wait to apply, the less of a chance they2 have to receive any aid.  For the summer of 2012, there is a special financial aid application, due April 1, 2012.  The Financial Aid Office will have the applications out before then.