“The Post” Review

Chase Ochsner, Staff Writer

“The Post,” directed by legendary filmmaker Steven Spielberg, is a political drama dealing with conflict of Vietnam dating back to the Truman administration. This film features Tom Hanks as reporter Ben Bradlee, Meryl Streep as Kay Graham, the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and Allison Brie as Lally Graham.

“The Post” tells the story behind the court decision to halt The New York Times’ printing stories and how The Washington Post took on the responsibility to inform society on how the United States Government was lying to the American people about the progress on the Vietnam War.

Hanks plays a gritty man who cannot focus on anything besides the papers. While his past performances were more emotional and impactful, this performance shows why he is still the in the $20 million club.

Streep’s performance captures both physically and mentally how Kay Graham faced numerous hardships with the board of directors at The Washington Post and the  difficultly on whether to publish the delicate information.

While this film shows how women were not treated positively in the workplace during the 1970s, it parallels to what is going on in 2018. Currently, women are still paid less than men for the same position at the same workplace and while it seems like society is politically split, it makes sense that both parties would want equal pay for every one. Hopefully, this film changes the mind of those who do not think equal pay is an important topic in today’s society.

Overall, this film does its job: to show how important news publishers are to inform the American people about the government and to never stop fighting for the truth. With that being said, it also serves as a wake up call to society showing how women are still treated poorly nearly 40 years later. However, society can fight for equal pay and allow every individual to strive in one of the most powerful countries in the world.