‘Hush’ is a must-see for horror film enthusiasts

Devin Krueger, Columnist

Even with the holiday season just around the corner, the inertia of Halloween keeps movie enthusiasts in search of new horror films to immerse themselves in.

“Hush,” a 2016 home invasion thriller, lies among the top ten horror films on Netflix. Guaranteed, this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end.

Maddie, a reclusive author, is living alone in her secluded home when suddenly she receives strange picture messages on her laptop. The photographs are real-time images of her sent from her own cell phone. When the author glances in the direction the photos are being taken from, to her horror she finds a man in a white mask standing outside her door.

This is where it gets intense. Maddie’s life suddenly becomes a game of cat and mouse, desperately fighting for survival as a psychopath relentlessly torments her.

As if matters could not get any worse, did I mention that our protagonist is completely deaf? That’s right; Maddie lost her hearing due to bacterial meningitis at the age of thirteen. Unable to hear her attacker, the reclusive woman spends a good deal of time hiding in the house, as the man does not enter the establishment until the end of the movie.

As the story progresses, we watch her make attempts to escape, only to be chased back inside by the killer or shot at with the crossbow the man brought along. The film exposes itself rather early and does not really contain any unexpected twists or turns. However, it is not short in the nail-biter department.

This is not necessarily a classic horror film as there are very few jump scares, although the eeriness of the setting and the uncomfortable low-lying fear felt while watching home invasion films makes this one creepy enough.

There is a bit of gore in the film, so those afraid of blood or broken bones should be wary of that. However, if you are a horror movie junkie, you should definitely consider giving this one a chance.