Zelda fans celebrate release

This photo presents the primary packaging artwork used by Nintendo for Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It depicts Link overlooking Hyrule’s landscape.

Photo from Nintendo Packaging

Photo from Nintendo Packaging

Hunter Smith, Columnist

Zelda fans around the world are rejoicing. Nintendo recently released “Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” its most anticipated Zelda game since “Zelda: Twilight Princess,” which was released in 2006.

For those who are unfamiliar with the famous game, it takes place in a fictional world called Hyrule where the warrior, Link, must fight an insidious power that has taken over the kingdom to regain the princess. Although this may seem like just another damsel-in-distress game, it is anything but ordinary.

This edition of the game is far more impressive than those in the past. “Zelda: Breathe of the Wild” was not only nominated for 2017 game of the year before it was even released, but has some of the most advanced physics and graphics within a non-PC gaming experience.

Upon making the game, the creators Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo said they wanted a game that had a “consistent physics engine throughout the world that worked in a logical and realistic way.” They have done just that.

In order to be successful in the game, the player must think of things from a real world perspective. Everything from how you position your aiming, running, fighting and, of course, stamina are constantly being generated by the physics engine.

The game takes the player down a very loosely guided storyline, but takes on a whole new feel in free roam games, which is where the player is free to do just about anything that someone would do in real life. The graphics within the game take you to a whole new world that you can easily explore.

If you are stuck at a hard part, or just simply tired of following the storyline, the game ensures that there is a virtual world that adapts to every demographic region and climate. There are rolling grasslands, snowy mountain tops, dusty red plateaus, desert regions, tropical rainforests and much more.

It is safe to say that “Zelda: Breath of the Wild” definitely earns its title as top contender for game of the year. The creators of this game and all the working parts that make it as successful as it is have paved the way for new gamer ideas of physics and graphics. Now as Zelda would say, “Go, and bring peace to Hyrule.”