IV Leader wins ICCJA awards

Logan Bland

IV Leader, IVCC’s student newspaper, won 16 awards, including second place in general excellence and second for best overall student media, during the April 12- 13 Illinois Community College Journalism Association Conference.

“I’m proud of what we’ve put out the past fall and spring,” said Elisabeth Farrell, current editor of IV Leader. “I was looking back at Hope’s [Beelman] work for guidance a lot last semester, so I’m really lucky to have had her as a sort of role model for this volume. I think we made a good team in the conference.”

The general excellence award examines the entire printed edition and judges remarked on the newspaper’s “variety of articles, strong layout and good photos.” The overall student media award recognizes student newspapers that place well in several categories across the contest. Individual awards were earned by several students:

– Eric Lockwood of Peru received first place in Arts Review for his review “Marvel returns to form with Wakanda Forever.”

– Elisabeth Farrell of Earlville received first place in headline writing; third place in feature photo; second place in Front Page Design; second place in News Photo; second place in Page
Design; honorable mention for Editorial.

– Hope Beelman of Peru earned third place in Front Page Design; honorable mention in Headline writing; third place for Sports Photo; third place for Editorial

– Noah Simon of Princeton received first place for Sports Story

– Nyah Nowakowski of Utica garnered second place for Sports Story; third place for Sports Feature

– Nathan Orlandi of Ottawa earned second place for Sports Story

– Drake Weber of Peru received second place for Sports Feature Farrell is editor for the 2022-2023 school year. Beelman was editor during 2021-
2022.

The contest included issues published from January through December 2022.
Lori Cinotte is the faculty adviser for the student newspaper. She was elected first vice president of ICCJAat the conference.