“An Awesome Team” Overrocker, Loveland hired to lead admissions

Erika Villalovos, Social Media Manager

Two of the newest faces in the Admissions and Records Office are Director Quintin Overocker and Assistant Director Aseret Loveland. Both are alumni of IVCC and look forward to giving back to their community.

“All of the great experiences I’ve had in the past 15 years wouldn’t have been possible had I not started here, so it’s rewarding to be able to give back in any way I can,” Overocker said.

After graduating from Woodland High School south of Streator, Overocker attended IVCC for two years before transferring to Western Illinois University, where he earned a bachelor’s degree. He earned a master’s degree at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville.

He started his career as an admissions counselor at University of Wisconsin-Stout, before working as a first-year adviser at their advisement center. Back in Illinois, he became an associate registrar at Illinois Wesleyan University.

Overocker oversees the Admissions and Records Office, which is in charge of recruitment, admissions, registration, and records. After crediting his predecessors’ management with helping to smooth his own transition to the post, Overocker is ready to focus on outreach efforts and make the admissions process as smooth as possible.

“We’ll continue to do a good job of reaching traditional-age students, but we also want to explore new ways to reach non-traditional students and under-represented groups. The decision to attend college and the subsequent legwork required of the student can be intimidating. Aseret and I and the rest of the staff are looking to smooth out as much as possible, and let the community know that a college education is accessible to them,” he said.

He says he will be looking for new ways to reach out to non-traditional students and to under-represented groups such as Hispanics and first-generation college students. Overocker’s overall goal is to expand access to higher education to segments of the population that wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity.

A native of Spring Valley, Aseret Loveland also attended IVCC, where she obtained an associate’s degree. She earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology and a master’s in college student affairs from Eastern Illinois University. She worked in that university’s admission office for 18 months, then served as an academic and leadership coordinator at the housing office.

Loveland’s responsibilities include recruiting new students, assisting with planning and execution of admission events, and assisting students interested in transferring.

One of her goals is to increase the use of technology to assist new and current students. Her ultimate goal is to find ways to better serve students during the decision-making process as they advance in their college careers.

“I’d like to improve the way we cultivate our relationship with prospective students and increase communication throughout the admissions process,” she said.

Overocker says he’s excited to begin working with a staff that has kept the office running in top condition. He knows everyone in the office cares about the students as much as he does.

“They’re an awesome team!” Loveland agrees.