One Book, One College Programs Begin

Ryan Nolasco, Staff Writer

The One Book, One College initiative seeks to join people from all walks of life together, in order to share the knowledge gained from reading a book.

This year, the book chosen is “Maid,” according to IVCC librarian Jayna Leipart Gutilla. “Maid,” authored by Stephanie Land, details the events of a young woman’s life, abuse, and pregnancy, all while on the way to getting her college degree. As part of One Book, One College, the library is planning on several events, and students can pick up a copy of the book at the library events. OBOC sponsored presentations from Prevention Educator Heather Steele of Safe Journeys Illinois on domestic violence and Gender-Based Discrimination and Your Rights on Campus during August.

There will also be several other September events, including Spirit Day on Sept. 14 and a presentation on Parenthood Poverty from Jared Olsen. October events include Safe Journeys Zonta Walk in Ottawa from 5 to 6 p.m. Oct. 6, as well as a presentation from Safe Journeys on Domestic Violence 101, on Oct. 6, and IVCC College & Career Night which includes the OBOC Resource Table on Oct. 18. Finally, November events involve several Wellness Days, taking place on Nov. 1, 9 and 17. Also at some point during the month, the University of Illinois Extension office is placing a spotlight on students having access to healthy and affordable meals. There will be freshly made food for those who RSVP.

Book discussions will begin in the spring.

For more information, please visit www.ivcc.edu/onebook or contact
Peru Public Library’s Emily Schaub at
[email protected], Safe Journeys’ Heather Steele at [email protected] or Jacobs Library’s
Jayna Leipart Guttilla at Jayna_Leipart