Daring detective: ‘Orient Express’ brings back popular mystery

Whodunnit?
Kenneth Branagh stars as detective Hercule Poirot in this remake of the Agatha Christie classic “Murder on the Orient Express.”

Whodunnit? Kenneth Branagh stars as detective Hercule Poirot in this remake of the Agatha Christie classic “Murder on the Orient Express.”

20th Century Fox photo

20th Century Fox photo

Erica Lawless, Columnist

Kenneth Branagh’s murder mystery “Murder on the Orient Express” is absolutely phenomenal. I saw the movie in theatres and will purchase it once it comes out on DVD.

“Murder on the Orient Express” stars the director Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot, an obsessive-compulsive detective who is desperate for a vacation.

His vacation comes to a sudden halt when an avalanche derails the train from the tracks and all of a sudden passengers find a body that had been stabbed to death aboard the Orient Express. Now all the passengers are suspects but Poirot, and it is up to him to solve this mystery.

“Murder on the Orient Express” is filled with an exciting cast. Some of my favorite cast members that act in the movie are Branagh, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, and let’s not forget Johhny Depp! Branagh gives everyone their moment to shine, as they are all interviewed one by one about the murder.

“The Orient Express” moves along from scene to scene giving the audience just enough thrilling and suspenseful action, keeping the audience guessing. There is a killer among them, and still on the Orient Express. Could it be the rich lady, or the fusty princess, or could it possibly be the racist professor, or the African American man, or the religious lady with a haunting past?

Branagh keeps you guessing until the very end.

One of the last scenes of the movie involves the entire cast, and it reminds me of the last supper — The last scene, the final moment in which we find out who the killer is. You would never see it coming…