Lady Eagles sweep Prairie State

Vanessa+Olivares

Michael Westerman

Vanessa Olivares sets for Taylor Erjavsek to continue the volley against Illinois Central.

Trevor Finnan, IV Leader Sports Writer

The Lady Eagles volleyball has been on a roll, winning seven of their last ten games, as of press time.

IVCC defeated Black Hawk Sept. 15 for their fourth win of the season, and now have moved their overall record
to 7-7.

After accomplishing just their second win of the season over Millikin JV Sept. 4, it seemed as if the IVCC Eagles volleyball team finally had some positive momentum snowballing in their direction as they took to home court to play against Prairie State on Sept. 10.

The team carried energy from their warm-up with them into the start of the first game. Sophomore setter Vanessa Olivares
served first, scoring two quick points before the other team earned possession. It didn’t take long for the Eagles to pull away after that, and Prairie State went down quietly as the Eagles won Game 1 25-13.

The second game was a different story, however, because both teams gave each other a run for their money. Prairie State scored first and besides falling behind to the Eagles 3-2 early, held the lead by a few points almost the entire game.

The Eagles persisted, though, coming back from a deficit of 11-17 to take just their second lead of the game at 21-20. After that, the two teams battled feverishly and the Eagles finally came out on top 25-22.

Their momentum continued into Game 3, where the Eagles took control early and kept it the rest of the way. They topped Prairie State 25-18 in Game 3, accomplishing the sweep.

After the game, Head Coach Erin Polte and sophomore Vanessa Olivares commented about this year’s team.

“I’m much happier with the team this year. Overall they have a lot of good tools, and I think they just need to utilize them at the proper time,” Polte said. When asked where the team’s strengths were, both indicated that it was in the Eagles volleying ability.

“Our serve receives are one of our greatest strengths” said Polte.

Another volleying strength, according to Olivares, is the team’s ability to attack. “We’re good at going up and spiking the ball,” she said.

When asked what the team needed to improve, Polte said, “It’s in the little things, like discipline on defense, getting to the right spot, and making the right choice up at the net.”

The team’s goal is to win conference, according to Olivares and Polte. Their next home game is at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25 vs. Moraine Valley.