IVCC hosts 2015 Talent Showcase for Cops 4 Cancer

Andrea Neff

The Templetons performing a medley of “Johnny B Goode” and “King Tut.”

For the second year running, the IVCC Talent Showcase brought to attention the school’s hidden entertainment gems while campaigning for a good cause on the evening of March 25.

A grand total of $1,500 was donated to Cops 4 Cancer through the organization of Student Government Association and the IV Leader student newspaper ‒ a $500 increase from the previous year. This number was calculated through a combination of contributions from 28 local sponsors, ticket sales, basket raffles, and individual donations.

The showcase was hosted by Christian Bender, event coordinator and member of Student Government sophomore programming board, and Tiernan Ebener, Student Government president, who introduced an eight-act participant lineup with the musical styling of DJ Michael Westerman, IV Leader A&E editor.

Bender combined his personal love of performance with his family’s involvement in Cops 4 Cancer events to fuel his desire to take over the showcase. He said his experience with Betty Pape-Glynn, a local cancer survivor giving back to her community through her advocacy as President of Cops 4 Cancer, positively affected him: “I was so inspired by this lady’s kind actions that I felt I could and needed to do the same.”

“As I sat in the IVCC auditorium I was completely overwhelmed with pride in our future leaders,” Pape-Glynn said, expressing the same positive attitude in a Facebook post after experiencing the show. “Some of the video footage I got on my phone can in no way represent the courage and talent showcased tonight.”

Students Michelle Grotti, Micaela McGinley, and Lily Ramirez worked alongside Bender to coordinate the event over the course of the spring semester, under the guidance of Lori Cinotte, IV Leader advisor, Cory Tomasson, Student Government advisor, and Jenna Stinson, Cultural Center event supervisor.

Taking home first place and a $100 gas card were The Templetons, a family music ensemble who performed a medley cover of “Johnny B Goode” by Chuck Barry and “King Tut” by Steve Martin. Members performing that night included Michael (banjo), Albert (guitar), Lidia (fiddle), Andrew (mandolin), Olivia (bass), and Eric Moore (cajon drum).

The Templetons, often appearing alongside their parents and younger siblings, can be found by visiting www.thetempletonsbluegrass.com.

Second place winners Emily Hanck and Raley Mauck who performed a duet vocal cover of “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran, and third place winner Dan Schmidt who performed an acoustic cover of “Let’s Get It Started” by The Black Eyed Peas (with bass accompaniment by Bender), each took home $25 cash.

“It was really cool and fun to see other stylistic and unique talents that students could show off to their colleagues and peers,” Mauck said. “I’m glad I was given the opportunity to share a talent of mine that could benefit such an amazing fundraiser and show.”

Other contestants included singer-songwriter Chelsea Reidies, nun chuck master Brandt Nicholson, metal guitarist Jimmy Crank, comedy duo Brandon Miller and Anna Klobnak, and last year’s second place winner, vocalist Hailey Shan.

Miller, who entered solo in the first showcase, said, “Both years the mix of talent that performed was phenomenal.” Through his position an officer for IVCC’s Phi Theta Kappa Rho Omega chapter, he proves why he continues to enter: “I am a strong advocate of people putting themselves out there and wanted to lead by example.”