Position changes put IVCC in transition

Brent Bader, IV Leader Editor
May 8, 2014
Filed under News

It appears that IVCC has been put into a transitional phase as far as its administration is concerned. Many administrational positions have been left vacant after many staffers have left their currents positions and others have been re situated. The following is the current list of changes made... Read more »

‘American Hustle’ captures ‘70s era

‘American Hustle’ captures ‘70s era

Brent Bader, IV Leader Editor
March 25, 2014
Filed under A&E

From the opening titles, which have been altered to appear as if they come from an older age, to the closing credits it becomes clear that “American Hustle” has an undeniable admiration for the ‘70s and by the end of its 138 minute runtime, so will you. “American Hustle” comes from director... Read more »

ICE-VCC

ICE-VCC

Brent Bader, IV Leader Staff
January 30, 2014
Filed under News

Students arriving on campus have been bundled up tight as temperatures have been dropping below zero on a regular basis. To help combat the freezing cold weather, IVCC instituted a temporary shuttle service on Jan. 23 until 2 p.m. to help get students from their vehicles to the college without exposure... Read more »

Insidious Chapter 2

Brent Bader, IVLEADER Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under A&E, Movies

Insidious Chapter 2 is the follow-up to the well-received Insidious and, while it’s not a complete miss, the scares and haunting scenes fail to live up to its predecessor. Director James Wan has returned with Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne reprising their roles as Josh and Renai Lambert, a couple... Read more »

CTC grand opening set for Nov. 1

Brent Bader, IV Leader Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under News

After a long wait for students of IVCC, the new Community Technology Center will finally be opening its doors at 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1. The grand opening will begin with the official ribbon cutting by IVCC President Jerry Corcoran and Illinois Gov. Patrick Quinn. “The grand opening of this beautiful... Read more »

Olympus Has Fallen Review

Olympus Has Fallen Review

Brent Bader, Columnist
May 2, 2013
Filed under A&E

If movies were to be believed, the White House may be the last place one would want to find themselves during any sort of attack on United States soil, as it is apparently much easier to take control of than you would imagine.  Olympus has Fallen, directed by Antoine Fuqua, stars Gerard Butler as an... Read more »

Superman’s 75th Anniversary

Superman’s 75th Anniversary

Brent Bader, Columnist
May 2, 2013
Filed under A&E

He is faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and now we know that he is able to stand the test of time. It has been 75 years since Superman first flew onto the scene in April 1938 and in those years Superman has transcended the comic... Read more »

Music Profile

Brent Bader, Columnist
March 21, 2013
Filed under A&E, Featured A&E, Music

Many traits and interests are passed from one generation to the next and these hobbies instilled in us from childhood usually play a large role in our development, and in David Mills’ case this was music.  His father instilled in him an interest in music, specifically the guitar, but eventually Mills... Read more »

Proud Professor: Bhattacharya wins faculty excellence award

Brent Bader and Kyle Russell
March 21, 2013
Filed under News

Each year, IVCC presents the Stephen Charry Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence to one teacher who, according to the college’s web site, “shows outstanding service in teaching, leadership, and contribution to the College and community.” This year’s award was bestowed to economics instructor... Read more »

‘The Following,’ ‘The Americans’ premiered

Brent Bader, Columnist
February 28, 2013
Filed under A&E, TV

It is that time of the year again, when new episodes of TV shows have returned to the airwaves after the winter holiday season and the networks start pilots for new shows.  With quite a few new shows beginning this winter, I have compiled a quick preview of two of the more popular or well-advertised... Read more »

Women’s History Month events scheduled

Brent Bader, IV Leader Staff
February 23, 2013
Filed under News

IVCC will celebrate Women’s History Month this March and ch many events will be offered during the month to honor the occasion. The events will be orchestrated by IVCC faculty members Kimberly Radek and Amanda Cook Fesperman and they are very excited for this year’s presentations. Radek said... Read more »

Best of Consumer Electronics Show 2013

Brent Bader, IV Columnist
January 31, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The International Consumer Electronics Show is hosted every year in Las Vegas and during this trade show many new products and gadgets are revealed that will possibly shape the future of the technology industry. While it is not open to the public, many media outlets cover the various products that... Read more »

James Bond shoots for the sky in ‘Skyfall’

Brent Bader, IV Leader columnist
December 11, 2012
Filed under A&E, Movies

It has been 50 years since James Bond was first shown on film with “Dr. No” and almost 60 years since he made his debut in English literature with “Casino Royale;” now we have 23 official films and James Bond is still as strong as ever with his latest outing in “Skyfall.” This is the third... Read more »

IVCC computer club hosts PC tune up clinic

Brent Bader, IV Leader staff
November 1, 2012
Filed under News

Once again the IVCC computer club will be hosting a PC Tune-Up Clinic this fall for all those who may be having computer issues.  The IVCC computer club is closely connected to the Illinois Valley Network Users Association and has an extensive knowledge of computer troubleshooting gained from instructors... Read more »

Sherlock delivers again

Brent Bader, IV Leader Columnist
September 25, 2012
Filed under A&E, Books

The game is afoot again as Sherlock Holmes returns in his first official “authorized” adventure since the last original story written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1915.  “The House of Silk” is written by Anthony Horowitz, who has become known for his teen adventure series The Gatekeepers and... Read more »

‘Expendables’ delivers nostalgia for action flick

The Expendables 2

Brent Bader, IVLeader Columnist
September 4, 2012
Filed under A&E, Featured A&E

The original “The Expendables” was a tribute film to the action movies of the ‘80s and early ‘90s, when Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone were only a few of the stars pumping out high-adrenaline and action packed movies on a regular basis. As time has gone on movies have “matured”... Read more »