Taste of India presented by IVCC Diversity Team

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Opinion Editor
May 8, 2014
Filed under News

The IVCC Diversity Team presented the Cultures of India April 21 with IVCC’s economics Professor Abhijeet Bhattacharya as the speaker. Bhattacharya moved from India to the United States toward the end of 2008 for graduate school, and came to teach at IVCC in the fall of 2008. The event included... Read more »

Weighing In On the Minimum Wage Debate

Ali Braboy, Opinion Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

With President Barack Obama proposing to raise the federal minimum wage of the U.S. in his State of the Union Address from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour, there is a lot of controversy over the long and short term effects. Many economists do not agree on whether increasing the wage will benefit the... Read more »

Phillips attends conference in Hawaii

Phillips attends conference in Hawaii

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Opinion Editor
March 25, 2014
Filed under News

Professor Mike Phillips, a geology teacher of 17 years at IVCC, attended the Ocean Sciences Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, Feb. 23-28. Phillips was one of 28 faculty members who teach oceanography at a community college to receive a grant to attend the conference. Along with the grant winners, there... Read more »

Tuition Increase — Now What?

Ali Braboy, Opinion Editor
March 21, 2014
Filed under Opinion

A Choice. We get one here at IVCC, at least in the option of tuition. Not whether the amount goes up or down, but, rather, we possess the option of whether or not to pay for one. Society subconsciously states that to securely get a salary higher than minimum wage, it is required that we spend at least... Read more »

Too individualistic

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Opinion Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under Opinion

Last week, while walking into a room too dark to see, I cursed and wondered: I’m in this room, so where the hell is the light…… How narcissistic am I to think such a thought? Very. A couple months ago my mother installed motion-sensored lights in some of the rooms in my house; after weeks of... Read more »

Despite protest, Utica approves sand mine

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Opinion Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under News

Ever heard of fracking? It’s a process of drilling land to inject liquid into the earth to release natural gases. Some claim the process hurts nearby water supplies and the environment around the work. However, on Feb. 4, the Utica Board of Trustees voted 5-2 to allow sand mining company Aramoni... Read more »

What’s Right?

Ali Braboy, Opinion Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Opinion

HEYO, IV Goers; my name is Ali: sophomore at IV, waitress at Steak ‘n Shake, and the new opinion editor of the IV Leader. Over the break I read a book about Friedrich Nietzsche, a nineteenth century German philosopher who was brought up by a Lutheran pastor. He was well read about notable people,... Read more »

Outstanding Volunteer Award

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Staff
December 5, 2013
Filed under News

On Saturday, August 17th, Professor Mark Walczynski—a history, philosophy, and criminal justice teacher at IVCC—was one among a group of individuals awarded as an Outstanding Volunteer of the Year by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield. He was recognized... Read more »

New CPT certificate offered at IVCC

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Staff
November 7, 2013
Filed under News

If interested in working in manufacturing and think you would like to find a job after just one semester of study at IVCC, the Certified Production Technician Certificate Program is for you. The program has been officially approved by the Illinois Community College Board. This fall semester is the... Read more »

‘Carrie’ gets makeover

Ali Braboy, IV LEADER STAFF
November 7, 2013
Filed under A&E, Movies

Have you ever felt the desire to destroy the world after receiving continuous negative words, actions, or maybe both from the world? The second movie adaptation of “Carrie” — originally a novel written by Stephen King in 1974 — came to theaters the weekend of Oct. 18, and the main character... Read more »

University of Illinois Extension office to be located at IVCC

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Staff
October 17, 2013
Filed under News

On Sept.9, a meeting between IVCC officials and a representative from the University of Illinois Extension program took place to discuss leasing a space for the extension on the Oglesby campus. By 2014, the Extension hopes to have a space on campus to provide and inform the recently formed district consisting... Read more »

Spirit Day Interviews

Spirit Day Interviews

Ali Braboy, Page Editor
September 25, 2013
Filed under Featured Multimedia

SKD invites new members

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Staff
September 10, 2013
Filed under News

The officers and faculty advisors of Sigma Kappa Delta chapter Mu Alpha look forward to a great year at IVCC! SKD is the national English honor society for two-year colleges that promotes English through fun activities. Membership is available to those who have at least 12 credit hours, a 3.3 GPA,... Read more »

Need a ride? BPART can help!

Need a ride? BPART can help!

Ali Braboy, IV Leader Staff
September 10, 2013
Filed under News

Do you or someone you know need transportation to IVCC? The Bureau & Putnam Area Rural Transit (BPART) busing system is offering their third year of rides to students of IVCC who reside in Bureau or Putnam County to the college for $5 round trip fares. Tracy Morris, associate vice president... Read more »