Tornado Turmoil

Jessie Winchel, IV Leader Staff
December 5, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

When an F4 tornado hit the Washington and Wilmington areas on Sunday, Nov. 17, local towns like Dana and Streator also were affected. Brandon Urbance of Streator said a portion of the Welcome to Washington sign and photo books ended up in his yard after debris traveled more than 50 miles. Jenna... Read more »

‘The Long and Winding Road’

‘The Long and Winding Road’

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
December 5, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

I know that most people start there goodbye editorials with how they first started out at IVCC. They may also include that they were awkward and didn’t get too involved until later down the road. My starting experience with IVCC was no different than the majority of IVCC students. I lived in Jackson... Read more »

IVCC students experience storm, recovery efforts

Jessie Winchel, IV Leader Staff
December 5, 2013
Filed under News

When an F4 tornado hit the Washington and Wilmington areas on Sunday, Nov. 17, local towns like Dana and Streator also were affected. Brandon Urbance of Streator said a portion of the Welcome to Washington sign and photo books ended up in his yard after debris traveled more than 50 miles. Jenna Smith... Read more »

The circle of life: Editorial edition

The circle of life: Editorial edition

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

We all make tough decisions in life. We decide what we do and what we don’t want to do. We also decided what jobs we want or what schools to go to. But there’s one decision that beats all of those. This is the toughest decision of a lifetime: what to write for an editorial. Essays for a class are... Read more »

Top 10 activities to make Halloween spooktacular

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

Halloween is fast approaching and most are asking themselves…what should I do on Halloween? Well, there is a whole bunch you can do, but I will inform you about safe and legal things that you can do to keep your Halloween alive! 10. Trick or Treat Not that there is anything bad about getting free... Read more »

Having a variety but nothing to watch

Having a variety but nothing to watch

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
September 25, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

You get your work schedule and your first thought is to look at the weekend. Usually you are scheduled, but to your surprise you have a full weekend off! You must be the happiest person in the world. You could play games, go outside, or even watch television or something that’s streaming. You wait... Read more »

What Time is It? School Time!

What Time is It? School Time!

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
September 3, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

Welcome back and hello to the new students! The new semester has already started and organizations are having their first meetings of the semester. It’s not too late though!! If you are a student then you should get involved. Think you are too old? You are never too old to get involved or have fun!... Read more »

Walk planned to remember Arie Boggio

Walk planned to remember Arie Boggio

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Opinion

March 3, 2010, I was living in Jackson, Mo.; it was my senior year in high school. My sister and I were getting ready to leave for school that morning when our Mom got a phone call from our Grandma, Our 15-year-old cousin Arie was gone. We couldn’t believe it and to add confusion to the heartbreak... Read more »

Web resource helps find college for you

Web resource helps find college for you

Jessie Winchel and Jessie Winchel
March 21, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

Already the semester is half way over and many of you might be transferring when the semester is done to a new college. The decision of which college is not an easy one. Some of you, like myself, may not even know where you are transferring yet. There are several resources at your disposal though that... Read more »

Web resource helps find college for you

Web resource helps find college for you

Jessie Winchel and Jessie Winchel
March 21, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

­­­­The Twenty-year Old Punchline

­­­­The Twenty-year Old Punchline

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

Now almost everyone watches television. There are constantly new shows airing every few months as the old shows get pushed behind. We might even feel nostalgia as a network, like cartoon network or the hub, bring back old shows. There are several shows though that when you go back and watch... Read more »

Graduation: Prepare or Beware

Graduation: Prepare or Beware

Jessie Winchel, Opinion Editor
January 31, 2013
Filed under Featured Opinion, Opinion

Two years ago, you started at Illinois Valley Community College. You started with a goal in mind, or maybe you started hoping you’d find your goal hidden in the depths of the halls. Before you know it you’ve made friends, found your goal, and finally it is time to graduate. You’ve prepared yourself... Read more »

Joan Jett still has it

Joan Jett still has it

Jessie Winchel, IV Leader columnist
November 6, 2012
Filed under A&E, Music

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts performed at Lawrenceburg Festival, a free music festival in Lawrenceburg, Ind., on Sept. 29. It took a total of a 12-hour drive and a night in a hotel to see the wonderful rock star for only an hour and a half, but it was well worth it. She played a ton of new songs... Read more »

Frequently asked questions get answered

Jessie Winchel, IV Leader Columnist
September 4, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Being a new student can be a daunting experience, and being a new student at the college level can sometimes feel overwhelming. So I would like to let you in on some advice that helped me when I was a freshman. How do I find my classes? There are several ways to find your classes. When I was a freshman... Read more »