Jason Goode hired as men’s baseball coach.

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
July 12, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Jason Goode of Ottawa will be the head coach for the Illinois Valley Community College men’s baseball team next season. Goode, 40, an Assistant State’s Attorney in the La Salle County State’s Attorney’s office, was named interim head coach Tuesday, said Associate Vice President for Student... Read more »

Pinter resigns as head baseball coach

Pinter resigns as head baseball coach

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
May 12, 2013
Filed under Sports

Eric Pinter of Mendota today announced his resignation effective May 18 as Illinois Valley Community College’s head baseball coach. The three-year coach resigned for personal reasons following Tuesday’s season-ending loss at Carl Sandburg in Galesburg. “It’s been an honor to be the head coach... Read more »

Spring weather plays havoc with IVCC baseball season

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

IVCC’s baseball team has been under the weather this season, as rainouts have made it difficult. As of press time, IVCC is 5-4 at home, but 1-17 on the road. The Eagles lost both games of a doubleheader on April 13 against Black Hawk College-Moline 4-0 and 6-1. Nick Passini drove in IVCC’s only... Read more »

Softball hopes for strong regional story.

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Update: IVCC defeated Black Hawk 1-0, 3-5, 8-7 at home to move on in the regional tournament. They will play in Freeport at noon on May 3. At press time, the IVCC softball team sports a 18-13 record, including 13-7 in the Arrowhead Conference as the team heads towards regional play. The Eagles... Read more »

Eagles’ baseball struggles to find rhythm as season begins

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under Sports

The IVCC men’s baseball team lost seven straight games to start the year before picking up wins on April 2. The Eagles lost the first game of the year to Joliet Junior College 12-1. Casey Huebbe provided the only IVCC run on a sacrifice fly. Michael Sexton took the loss, giving up six runs over... Read more »

Lady Eagles return from Florida, cruise through competition

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under Sports

The IVCC women’s softball team started quickly out of the gate in Arrowhead Conference play, sweeping up five straight wins to start the regular season. In Oglesby on March 25 against Sauk Valley, the Lady Eagles won a thriller 7-6 on Brynn Johnson’s walk-off homerun in the seventh. Johnson went... Read more »

Lady Eagles basketball make it to Regional finals

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
March 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

After advancing to the semi-finals of the NJCAA Region IV Tournament, the IVCC Lady Eagles season ended with a record of 22-9. In preparation for the tournament, IVCC demolished Olive Harvey on Feb. 23 77-13 to finish up the regular season. Sydonia Daniels led the team with 18 points, Arnisha... Read more »

Men’s basketball team ends season

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
March 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Eagles finished up their season at 18-11 and a loss at Kishwaukee College to open regional play on Feb. 28. To finish the regular season, IVCC defeated Olive Harvey 82-77 to prepare for the regional. Michael Murray and Corey McCrary each had 20 points for the Eagles and Alec Schwab added 19... Read more »

Men’s basketball clinches sixth straight winning season

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
February 27, 2013
Filed under Sports

With a win on Feb. 12, IVCC clinched their sixth consecutive winning season, and their current overall record is 16-10 heading into the final two games of the regular season. To finish up January, IVCC hosted Black Hawk College and lost 80-77. Alec Schwab led the team with 23 points, Corey McCrary... Read more »

Lady Eagles soar through February; ready for Regional

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
February 27, 2013
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

The IVCC women’s basketball team currently holds a 19-8 record going into the final two games of the regular season, as the team prepares to host the NJCAA region 4 tournament on March 2-9. To finish out the month of January, IVCC hosted Black Hawk College of Moline and defeated them 93-72. Sydonia... Read more »

Count me among those NOT watching Olympic golf

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
February 27, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Sports

As a baseball nut, I won’t lie and say I wasn’t upset when my favorite sport was removed from the Olympics, especially since I love watching the Olympics, but I could understand the reasoning for it. The facts were astounding: There aren’t enough countries that really embrace the sport to make... Read more »

Lady Eagles fall in rankings, but build momentum for February

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
February 5, 2013
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

Consecutive losses to Kishwaukee College and South Suburban College have dropped the Lady Eagles from tenth to 17th in the national polls on NJCAA.org. IVCC’s women’s basketball team does currently have a 15-5 record as the team heads into the second half of the season. IVCC started the month... Read more »

Eagles enter final stretch of basketball season

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
February 5, 2013
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

As of press time, the IVCC men’s basketball team is 13-7, but has lost three out of their last four games after starting the second half of the season with a two-game win streak. The streak started with a trip to the United Center in Chicago to play against Prairie State College on Jan. 7 and won... Read more »

Quarterbacking styles interesting to watch in Super Bowl XLVII

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
February 5, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Sports

It’s getting to be that time for football, and this year’s Super Bowl has centered itself on the coaches. While it’s interesting and exciting to see siblings coaching against each other in the biggest football game on the planet, let’s not forget that there are players who have to play this out... Read more »

New recycling plan adopted for college

New recycling plan adopted for college

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
January 30, 2013
Filed under News

Students walking around campus should be noticing newer and larger green containers around campus to handle their recycling. The IV Sustainability group has helped to change IVCC’s recycling system to a new “single-stream recycling” system provided by Waste Management. Jared Olesen, sociology... Read more »

Lady Eagles ranked sixth in the nation according to NJCAA

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
December 11, 2012
Filed under Sports

The IVCC women’s basketball team surged up to sixth in the rankings as of press time for NJCAA Division II after posting a 6-2 record through the month of November. IVCC saw a familiar face against Waubonsee at home on Nov. 13, as former Lady Eagle Emma Darby returned to play her former team. The... Read more »

Men’s basketball jumps out to 6-2 record, win IVCC classic

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
December 11, 2012
Filed under Sports

The IVCC Men’s Basketball team is off to a 5-2 start this season, highlighted by a four-game win streak snapped by Illinois Central College on Nov. 29. “When the team follows the game plan we play well,” said head coach Tommy Canale, “Both games we’ve lost so far this season, the team didn’t... Read more »

Alex Smith benched for concussion?

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
December 11, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Sports

There’s an old cliché in sports that you can’t lose your starting job because of an injury. However, tell that to 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, who completed 70 percent of his passes before suffering a concussion and is currently riding the bench behind rookie Colin Kaepernick. Smith, the 49ers... Read more »

Staff member reorganizes geology exhibit

Josh Dillon, IV Leader staff
December 11, 2012
Filed under News

Campus Information Specialist and IVCC graduate Carey Burns had wanted to be a geologist since she was little, and she was a bit disturbed by the state of the Geology exhibit in the lab area of Building A. Burns said, “Every time I would walk through the tunnels, I would always see that it was in... Read more »

Lady Eagles win home opener over UW-Rock County

Josh Dillon, IV Leader sports editor
November 6, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

The IVCC women’s basketball team opened up their season at home with a win over UW-Rock County 74-65. The Lady Eagles went into halftime with a 15-point lead, as they dominated all phases of the game with an aggressive, up-tempo pace attack on both offense and defense. The Rattlers weren’t... Read more »

Volleyball ends season with regional loss vs. Kish

Josh Dillon, IV Leader sports editor
November 6, 2012
Filed under Sports

The IVCC Lady Eagles’ volleyball team ended their season with a loss against Kishwaukee College at College of Lake County in Grayscale in four games, 25-23; 25-27; 18-25; 14-25. The loss to Kishwaukee came in the semi-final round of the regionals after IVCC had won its opening round at home on Halloween... Read more »

High scoring defense adds new meaning to the phrase ‘Bear Down’

Josh Dillon, IV Leader sports editor
November 6, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Sports

Charles Tillman, the pro bowl cornerback for the Chicago Bears, won NFL defensive player of the month for October. The Bears defense so far this season has been legendary in terms of dominance. When you watch this team, you see the fruits of Lovie Smith’s labor in motion. It’s a veteran... Read more »

New system streamlines Spring class registration

Matt Gerding and Josh Dillon
November 1, 2012
Filed under News

Registration for Spring semester classes will begin Wednesday, Oct. 31. Registering will be handled differently this year. Instead of having a separate day for each method of registration, all forms of registration will begin on the same day but start at different times. “The intent is... Read more »

Campus jobs help students balance work, class

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
October 22, 2012
Filed under News

One of the biggest issues with being a college student in the 21st Century is balancing schedules around classes, work, and other extra-curricular activities a student can participate in. Dealing with one of those issues, students looking for extra income should look into IVCC’s student employment... Read more »

Tennis finishes season placing fourth at Regional Tournament

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
October 19, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

The IVCC women’s tennis team tied up their season by finishing fourth at the regional tournament in Dixon, missing nationals by two and a half points. Moraine Valley, Waubonsee and Elgin qualified for nationals. Karly Rosencrans took the individual award for third singles, and the team of Delaney... Read more »

Lady Eagles volleyball shows dominance

Lady Eagles volleyball shows dominance

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
October 19, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

The Lady Eagles volleyball team surged through the fall, upping their record to 19-9 with a 6-4 record in the Arrowhead Conference. The biggest victory overall came at the Kankakee Tournament on Oct. 5 and 6 where IVCC went undefeated over two days and won first-place in the tournament. They started... Read more »

Women’s tennis starts fast, builds momentum for Regional tourney

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Edirtor
September 25, 2012
Filed under Sports

After not knowing if there would be a tennis program this year, the IVCC women’s tennis team has started strong, winning four out of their first five meets to open the year. Former Eagle and new head coach Julie Milota said, “I am so proud of how the men and women have kept their chins up. The ladies... Read more »

Lady Eagles spike the competition through September

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

It’s easy to tell how much pride that IVCC women’s volleyball coach Julie Sherbeyn has in her team this season, as they have fought hard throughout September to an 8-5 record overall. “It’s really cool to watch how these players share the court. We have 13 players on our squad, and it’s hard... Read more »

How hard is it to talk about what you love?

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
September 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

I’ll readily admit I wasn’t the greatest athlete in the world as a kid, but what I lacked in physical stature, I made up for in knowing what I was playing forwards, backwards, sideways, and diagonally. That’s why I decided a long time ago that if I wasn’t going to be able to hack it on the field,... Read more »

Intramural sports cancelled indefinitely

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Sports Editor
September 4, 2012
Filed under News, Sports

Students who enjoyed playing flag football and recreational basketball in the past will now have to live without those pastimes. The Illinois Valley Community College board of trustees has approved a proposal to cut the intramural program, which coordinated those activities. According to Tracy Morris,... Read more »

Tennis program perseveres through funding cuts

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
September 4, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

Tennis will continue at IVCC, but with little support from the school. Although the IVCC board considered cutting the program totally, the board approved a model in May that was proposed by a group of local tennis advocates and parents of players. Under the new model, the women will play a fall season... Read more »

Lady Eagles aim to rebound

Lady Eagles aim to rebound

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
September 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

After a disappointing 5-34 finish last season, IVCC Women’s Volleyball coach Julie Sherbeyn has reloaded her roster with a lot of local area talent to make a play for the Arrowhead Conference Championship this season. “Last year, we were not good,” Sherbeyn said. “We had a lot of injury problems... Read more »

Eagles struggle heavily throughout April

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
April 26, 2012
Filed under Sports

According to IVCC Head Coach Eric Pinter, while the Eagles have had a very rough season so far, they’re going to approach the rest of the season one game at a time and leave it all on the field. “Our record is not favorable, but it doesn’t reflect how the guys have been playing,” Pinter said.... Read more »

Lady Eagles keep above .500

Lady Eagles keep above .500

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
April 26, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Lady Eagles softball team had a see-saw effort in April, trading wins and losses to bring their overall record to 15-14. They split the opening doubleheader on April 3 at Carl Sandburg College, winning the first game 1-0 and losing the second 3-1. Another conference doubleheader against Kishwaukee... Read more »

Manning’s decision could impact the NFL for the next decade

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
April 5, 2012
Filed under Sports

Despite baseball’s resurgence to the mainstream, the NFL has found ways to make headlines during a star-studded off-season that will begin storylines for 2012 and beyond. It all began with the discarding of a quarterback legend. Peyton Manning, the man who ran the Indianapolis Colts offense for... Read more »

Lady Eagles struggling to find consistency

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
April 5, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Lady Eagles swept their second home doubleheader to improve their record to 3-2 on March 20. Cory Tomasson’s team opened their season at home against Joliet on March 13. They lost the first game 8-3 but preserved a split by beating them 11-8. The doubleheader against Kankakee on March 18... Read more »

Lady Eagles carry momentum into Regional Finals

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
March 5, 2012
Filed under Sports

In sports, one of the toughest things a team can do is beat another team in three straight games. In that regard, the Lady Eagles are in good shape, as they continue their season in the Region IV Finals against a familiar opponent, the Kishwaukee College Cougars. The first game between the two teams... Read more »

Men’s basketball season ends with loss to South Suburban College

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
March 5, 2012
Filed under Sports

After getting demolished by Highland on the road 113 to 67 on Feb. 9, the IVCC men’s basketball team turned their season around, finishing the season with a lot of momentum going into the Region 4 tournament. On Feb. 12, the team got back on track by defeating Eureka JV 72-58. But, the Eagles got... Read more »

Lady Eagles drop 9 spots in current national ranking

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
February 16, 2012
Filed under Sports

Last week, the IVCC Lady Eagles were ranked ninth in the country and first in the region. A rough month of February took its toll on the team's ranking, as losses to Kishwaukee College and Black Hawk College has dropped the team 9 spots to 18th overall in the country. Teams in the region that are... Read more »

Can’t spell Elite without ‘Eli’

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
February 15, 2012
Filed under Sports

In an interview with ESPN’s Michael Kay in August, Eli Manning was asked if he considers himself to be an elite quarterback.Manning responded with yes, prompting some to call him arrogant and undeserving. In an eight-year career which began under scrutiny for refusing to play in San Diego, where... Read more »

Lady Eagles falter in February

Lady Eagles falter in February

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
February 15, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

Two straight conference losses for the Lady Eagles were a wakeup call as they dropped back to back games against Black Hawk College on the road and Kishwaukee College at home. The game at Black Hawk on Feb. 2 was pretty ugly, as a barrage of three pointers by the Braves doomed the team from the start... Read more »

Eagles shooting to hit stride

Eagles shooting to hit stride

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
February 15, 2012
Filed under Featured Sports, Sports

Eagles' head coach Tommy Canale has never had a team with as many shooters as the team he's coaching now. Canale said, "It's fun to coach and it's fun to have [this many shooters]. When  you just have one or two people who  an shoot, those can be taken away but we have so many weapons, it's hard... Read more »

Foundation Scholarship Deadline Set

Josh Dillon, IV Leader Staff
February 15, 2012
Filed under News

Feb. 29 has been set as the deadline for IVCC Foundation Scholarship applications. Students may pick up an application from the Foundation office, Room C-202, or download the application online at www.ivcc.edu. Students are required to submit an essay as well as file their FAFSA for the 2012-2013... Read more »

Eagles edge Cougars for a conference victory.

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
February 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

The IVCC men's basketball team defeated Kishwaukee College on Feb. 7 71-67. Alec Schwab led the team with 29 points. Post game interviews and coverage to follow.

Lady Eagles suffer second conference loss to Kishwaukee College

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
February 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

Despite Jo Nash's 26 points and having a lead at halftime, the Lady Eagles couldn't pull out a win at home versus Kishwaukee College on Feb. 7. This is IVCC's second straight loss in the Arrowhead Conference, after losing at Black Hawk College on Feb. 2 82-63. The Lady Eagles came out of the halftime... Read more »

Eagles rally to beat Chargers 73-63

Eagles rally to beat Chargers 73-63

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 26, 2012
Filed under Sports

Despite losing one of their best scorers to a concussion, the Eagles found a way to beat the Carl Sandburg Chargers in another tough game Thursday night. Alec Schwab left the game just before halftime with symptoms of a concussion. His status will be known after more evaluation and tests are conducted. The... Read more »

Lady Eagles take down Chargers 56-47

Lady Eagles take down Chargers 56-47

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 26, 2012
Filed under Sports

The IVCC Lady Eagles won their game against Carl Sandbug 56-47 to continue their undefeated streak in the Arrowhead Conference. Lady Eagles' head coach Pat Cinotte sent out a revamped starting lineup this game, with Haley Phelps, Christina Hilstock, and Alycia Welch jumping into the game at the beginning. Welch... Read more »

Super Bowl XLVI preview

Super Bowl XLVI preview

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 26, 2012
Filed under Sports

Familiar faces, new places, and a whole different storyline await the two teams slated to meet up in Indianapolis on Feb. 5. You don't have to look too far back to find the last time they met up in the title game. It was 2008 and Eli Manning's message to the NFL that he was here to stay. Tom Brady... Read more »

Lackluster second half leads to loss against Skyhawks

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

Down only three points at the half, the Eagles men's basketball team had to put together a good second half to compete for a win at Sauk Valley Community College on Jan. 19. The game followed the pattern of the season thus far as the team couldn't muster the momentum, eventually losing the game 86-68. The... Read more »

Lady Eagles win thriller over Skyhawks 46-45

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

It took every bit of 40 minutes to decide a winner at Sauk Valley Community College and in a dramatic finish, Johnnika Nash's layup with 4.3 seconds left in the game propelled the Lady Eagles to a victory 46-45. When asked about the final play of the game, Nash said, "I just needed to take the last... Read more »

Eagles take Arrowhead Conference opener over Braves

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 10, 2012
Filed under Sports

It took every bit of 40 minutes to decide a winner in the Arrowhead Conference opener, but the Eagles soared high and beat the Black Hawk College Braves 63-57. A hard nosed struggle between two tough teams led to a lot of excitement between the two teams. In the final moments, Keelan Prince of the... Read more »

Lady Eagles start conference with win over Black Hawk College

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 10, 2012
Filed under Sports

Coach Pat Cinotte and his Lady Eagles made a big statement to the Arrowhead Conference on Jan. 10 with a routing of Black Hawk College 78-58. The team had four players reach double digits in scoring, with Jo Nash's 18 points leading the way. Julie Haye followed with 16, Elizabeth Liptak had 11, and... Read more »

Eagles fall after fast start against No. 2 ranked Bulldogs.

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Eagles went into their hotly anticipated game against the South Suburban Bulldogs with everything to prove and for 33 minutes, they did just that. The Bulldogs, ranked second in the nation, looked like sleeping dogs as the Eagles started the game on fire going up 22-5 at one point in the first... Read more »

Lady Eagles upset ninth ranked Bulldogs

Lady Eagles upset ninth ranked Bulldogs

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Lady Eagles used a balanced offensive attack along with some stellar defense to rout the ninth ranked South Suburban Bulldogs Saturday afternoon at Illinois Valley Community College 67-58. Johnikka Nash led the team in scoring, putting up 30 points, including three straight baskets from behind... Read more »

Eagles host doubleheader vs. South Suburban

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 5, 2012
Filed under Sports

South Suburban college will be travelling to the Illinois Valley to play the Eagles on Jan. 7. The women's game will be at 1 pm. In their last contest, the women won at home against Elgin on Jan. 3 behind a dominating performance by sophomore Julie Haye, who scored 24 points. The Lady Eagles look... Read more »

Trade of Zambrano the end of an era in Chicago.

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
January 5, 2012
Filed under Sports

The first big casualty of the Theo Epstein era occurred in Chicago, as Epstein dealt highly volatile right-hander Carlos Zambrano to the Marlins in exchange for right-hander Chris Volstad. Zambrano, who's been with the team for 11 seasons, flourished in his younger years behind Mark Prior and Kerry... Read more »

Lady Eagles’ family mentality and team depth leading to wins

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
December 8, 2011
Filed under Sports

Lady Eagles' head coach Pat Cinotte couldn't speak enough about how much of a luxury he has with his team depth. "We have different people step up each game. Some games, the bench will outscore the starters." Coming off an off-season filled with the loss of former standout Shannon Washington, Cinotte... Read more »

Men’s basketball devastated by injuries

Men’s basketball devastated by injuries

Josh Dillon, IVLeader Sports Editor
December 8, 2011
Filed under Sports

It’s something every coach thinks about but never wants to do. After a game against Rock Valley College on Nov. 15, Eagles men’s basketball coach Tommy Canale told his players that they weren’t playing their next game. Canale, with the help of his assistant coaches, made the decision based on... Read more »