College gets bandwidth boost

Marshal Herrmann, IV Leader Media Editor
May 8, 2014
Filed under News

Notice a faster internet connection? You should. Over the weekend of April 5- 6, IVCC abandoned AT&T and connected to iFiber, a northwestern Illinois broadband initiative, which is a “provider of extremely high speed (up to GB) network transport services to both the public and private sector,”... Read more »

Rams building for return to greatness

Marshal Herrmann, Columnist
April 10, 2014
Filed under Opinion, Sports

Although the golden days of “The Greatest Show on Turf” are behind us, a promising future awaits for the St. Louis Rams. The Rams haven’t had a winning season for over a decade. However, they were not dead—just dormant. The dark ages are over and a rebirth is underway. Years of mediocrity have... Read more »

Tuition to rise — again

Tuition to rise — again

Marshal Herrmann, Media Editor
February 21, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

Tuition will rise once again. Starting in the summer 2014 semester, students will be paying an extra 10 percent — bringing the total tuition and fee per credit hour to $111. Even with this increase, IVCC will still remain below the current Illinois community college average of $112.65. Vice President... Read more »

Phase three of construction enters preliminary stages

Marshal Herrmann
January 30, 2014
Filed under News

Although the new Peter Miller Community Technology Center has been completed, the renovation project is not over yet. Phase three involves the renovation of the newly vacated areas on the main campus, such as the former counseling center and cashiers’ office. According to Cheryl Roelfsema, Vice... Read more »

Foundation discontinues 17 scholarships

Marshal Herrmann, Media Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under News

In an effort to save money, the directors of the IVCC Foundation have voted to cut 17 Foundation paid scholarships in 2014-2015. This will save the Foundation’s general unrestricted fund more than $8,000, according to Fran Brolley, director of Community Relations and Development, Brolley stated... Read more »

Enrollment down six percent

Marshal Herrmann, Media Editor
September 26, 2013
Filed under News

Enrollment for this semester is down about six percent compared to last fall, according to Fran Brolley, Director of Community Relations and Development. Brolley cited four factors for the decline: The unemployed exhausting their unemployment benefits More students are finding employment and... Read more »

Spirit day pictures with Spirit the Eagle

Marshal Herrmann, Media Editor
September 11, 2013
Filed under Student Life

// The gallery can be found above by clicking "Spirit Day Pictures" in the menu or by clicking here You should be redirected shortly.

Creatures on Campus

Creatures on Campus

Marshal Herrmann, IV Leader Staff
September 10, 2013
Filed under News

Students haven’t been the only things arriving to campus lately.   On Monday, Aug. 26, Kurt Hoffman of Vissering Construction Co. gave a salamander he found on the east campus to Lauri Carey, IVCC’s Horticulture program coordinator and instructor. Carey brought the salamander to the Life Science... Read more »

Budget process begins: Dean, some waivers to be cut

May 2, 2013
Filed under News

In an effort to achieve a balanced budget, one dean position and some athletic waivers will be cut. According to the Audit-Finance Committee’s April press release, the initial budget for fiscal 2014 will need to be reduced by about $900,000. IVCC President Jerry Corcoran noted that this is just a... Read more »

Three candidates running for two board spots

Marshal Herrmann, Media Editor
March 25, 2013
Filed under News

Three candidates are competing for two open spots on the Board of Trustees. Jane Goetz of Ottawa, Laurie Bonucci of Princeton and Brandon Evans of Oglesby will all be on the April 9 ballot. On Wednesday afternoon, the three candidates met in the fireplace lounge for an open forum sponsored by the... Read more »

Pay to print: Board approves 5-cent per print charge in three IVCC locations

March 21, 2013
Filed under News

Printing will no longer be free. Students printing at the Jacobs Library, Learning Commons or the Ottawa Center Open Lab will be charged 5 cents for black-and-white and 25 cents for color. Additionally, the price of copies will be reduced from 10 to 5 cents. Printing will remain free in instructional... Read more »

Trustees approve 10 percent tuition increase

Marshal Herrmann, Media Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under News

Students will be paying more for tuition starting this summer. Faced with economic decisions, the school’s Audit Finance Committee recommended an approximate 10 percent tuition raise during its January meeting. The Board of Trustees officially approved the tuition increase at the February 19th meeting. The... Read more »