Eagles charge toward postseason

Michael Olson and Austin Mueller

With the regular season starting to wind down, it is finally everyone’s favorite part of the season to commence: the playoffs.

The Lady Eagles softball squad has been working especially hard this year as they prepare to make a run at a return trip to Nationals.

Throughout the season, they have been battling some tough opponents and have compiled a 13-9 record with an 8-4 record in the conference.

Sophomore leaders Annie Miller, Allison Korsan and Mackenzie May lead the way for a young Lady Eagles team that averages 7.1 runs per game while batting a solid .339 average as a team.

Miller, the Lady Eagles leading hitter, said, “We had our ups and downs this season so far, but we started out well in Florida and right now are one of the better teams in the conference. If we can grind out at bats and play errorless defense, I think we can make another postseason run.”

The Lady Eagles started out the season in Clermont, Fla., where they played six teams in three days and came away with a 4-2 record.

In addition, April 19 marked the first time that a Lady Eagles softball game was streamed online for others to view.

Sophomore Allison Korsan said, “We just need to play hard every game and leave it all on the field. If people see us working hard, they will want to see us play. The livestream helps with that because it gives us more recognition.”

With high expectations for a team with only three returning players, freshman Jaimee Ciesielski provided us with her thoughts on the pressure of a freshman with these high expectations and the mindset she sets forth come playoff time.

Ciesielski said, “Knowing that the team did so well last year and advanced to Nationals, I want to be sure I play my part as best as I can to insure another great year for not only us new players, but for our sophomores as well.”

With the Regional tournament starting on May 3, the Lady Eagles will be ready to battle any opponent that stands in their way of making a return trip to Nationals.