Eagles look ahead towards postseason

IVCC’s first baseman,
Levi Ericson
hits a deep sac fly to
drive in Michael
Baker scoring the
first of only two runs
in the April 19 game
lost to Black Hawk.
Baseball is allegedly
scheduled to be one
of the sports that will
move to Division 3
next year and will no
longer award tuition
waivers.

IVCC’s first baseman, Levi Ericson hits a deep sac fly to drive in Michael Baker scoring the first of only two runs in the April 19 game lost to Black Hawk. Baseball is allegedly scheduled to be one of the sports that will move to Division 3 next year and will no longer award tuition waivers.

Kyle Russell

Kyle Russell

Sam Brolley, IV Leader Sports Writer

The Eagles have done plenty of scrapping with their rivals from Black Hawk College of Moline recently and have lost a few feathers in the process.

On April 19 Damin Smith tossed seven scoreless innings, giving up only two hits in the 6-2 victory. Catcher Rodrigo Almeraz drove in three runs, increasing his team-high 20 RBI. In the second game of the double header, Black Hawk turned the tables and destroyed IV 10-0. The Eagles committed three errors and could only muster two hits.

A rain out on April 21 meant the Eagles would play four games in a row against the Braves. The next day IV lost 12-2 at home before falling 9-4 a few hours later. Logan Bima drove in his 14th RBI.

As a team, the Eagles are hitting .239 with a .290 slugging percentage. Almeraz boasts the team’s highest average at .312, while Smith has a 2-1 record and 18 strikeouts.

As of press time, the Eagles were in second place in the Arrowhead Conference and held a 9-7 conference record. Last year, the team finished in fourth in the conference.