Study tips for finals

Rachel Einhaus, Assistant Opinion Editor

Many people know that students can study in different ways. Some students are more visual learners and others learn by just hearing the information. Here is my 5-step guide on how to efficiently study for our upcoming exams.

First, start studying sooner. According to School Tutoring’s website, “Last minute ‘cram’ sessions in which you try to read a lot of information quickly will only make it to the primary short-term form of memory.”

If you spend 45 minutes studying every week up until finals, you can learn the material better, minimizing the amount of time spent studying. This will also help control anxious and nervous thoughts about the upcoming test.

The next step is to study with a classmate. This will not only help you but will help the classmate and give you a confidence boost needed before the test. Start with verbal quizzes and some review games. Throw a review game party and make it fun: no need to stress and create more worry for the test.

The most important thing you could do for yourself is to get an adequate amount of sleep. Your body needs it to focus and retain information for the test. According to Harvard Medical School, “Sleep, learning, and memory are complex phenomena that are not entirely understood. However, animal and human studies suggest that the quantity and quality of sleep have a profound impact on learning and memory.

“Research suggests that sleep helps learning and memory in two distinct ways. First, a sleep-deprived person cannot focus attention optimally and therefore cannot learn efficiently,” the study continued. “Second, sleep itself has a role in the consolidation of memory, which is essential for learning new information.”

Another key idea for studying for finals is a good diet. Too much food or unhealthy food can exhaust you and not eating enough may not give you proper energy. Never change your diet right before a quiz, test or exam.

Another way you can study is to recopy your notes from the semester. This is a good beginning tool to refresh your memory. Good luck on finals and don’t forget to study.